Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a question I am hoping someone can give me the answer. I am getting conflicting answers and just want to know if anyone has been through this type of situation. Basically the birth father contested the adoption in the very beginning of our hopeful adoption. He knew of the birth mom's pregnancy early on and knew the baby was going up for adoption. After the birth of the baby we have had temporary custody from birth-the birth father decides he will not sign off his rights. Meanwhile we still had temp. custody as the dna testing was not done to say if he was the biological father. Then he decides a couple months later he wants to sign off for the adoption. We were so happy!!! Months pass and he never signs off, the court only has him contesting the adoption. We were heartbroken. Dna testing was done when the baby was 11 months old, we had to pay for his dna testing...and he was proven to be the biological father. Through our attorney we offered open adoption he accepted...Once again we were so happy! Next he wanted to see the baby or he would not agree to the open adoption. We met in a public place and everything went well..before leaving he thanked us for taking such wonderful care of the baby and he promised he would do the open adoption. A couple weeks later he has now changed his mind again. Our angel is now 17 months old..and this guy has done nothing- to take this to court -Maryland statue says no consent is needed if...the child has been out of the parent's custody for 1 year, and has formed a significant attachment to the petitioners. There has been no support or meaningful contact. We were advised the longer we have the child the better. However I am now being told by some people that regardless he sent in contesting the adoption so we can never adopt. Other people are saying just because he contested means nothing if he is not pushing to get the baby. I just wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation. We could not imagine a day with out our angel..we just keep praying we will have peace soon....:wings:
I don't have an answer to your question, but just wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for you!
Advertisements