Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all,
I have gained a lot from reading so many posts - thanks for all your insights on different helpful topics. It seems there is not a whole lot out there about single male adoptions. I am now in MAPP training in MA, with hopes to provide a permanent home for a physically healthy 4-5 year old boy or girl. While I am am still hoping to meet the right woman, it seemed time to take on the huge challenges and rewards of adopting a waiting child. (I was adopted myself, at birth) However, I'm not sure how entering single parenthood, and especially being a single male will work for or against me in this process. I know it is becoming more and more common, and my Agency tells me they have had great success with matching to single males - sometimes easier than single females. But I'd love to hear from the trenches:
Foster Parents: Have you cared for foster children that you felt might be best helped in a single father adoption situation? Have you ever recommended it or adopted out to a single dad? How did it work out?
Single Adoptive Dads: Any out there? What were your challenges during the process?
Fill me with hope, or give me a reality check. Thanks.
Advertisements
and keep us posted. I am a single female and let me tell you. . . it was a major adjustment. I am not sure I have regained my sanity since.
There are a couple of us out here.
I have adopted from 4 states all nine of my sons. I really never ran into any challenges, as far as discrimatory. Actually, I still receive calls, wondering if I will take "just one more". I would agree that workers are more open to placing with single males than they were say 10 years ago, especially teenagers.
I would say expect the point blank questions. You know the ones! :mad:
Hello Journy2dad. I adopted my son over 4 years ago (had him 5 years total) as a single father. There really wasn't any problems other than a few stereotype names which didn't really bug me. I too am searching for the right woman and am taking my time to do so. My son does want a mommy and I understand but God gives us what we can handle and in his time.
Everyone kept asking me if I knew what I was getting into. Umm, only how many months of parental training ect... did that but you can throw most of that out the window when the child actually arrives. He is a bundle of energy but is everything I could have ever wanted. Good luck and keep us posted.
I'm a single female fost/adopt parent. I've had 5 boys, one of who was a teenager. He would have benefited so much from a single father. Try and go for an older boy. You life will be so blessed.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
hey, man.
i'm a single, 28 year old guy also looking to start the adoption process before long. i'm pursuing my master's degree right now, and won't be ready for full-time parenting until i finish, but i'm starting to lay the groundwork to adopt when i finish school.
right now i'm trying to figure out if i'll adopt from the system or try to adopt independently... in some ways i think adopting a neurotypical same-race infant without chronic health issues would be a lot easier the first time around, but i've always wanted to adopt waiting kids, too. that's part of what i'm trying to work out right now.
i'd love to talk about this more with you.
seth
Sir, I hope everything works out for you. I myself want to adopt and am a single male. I don't know anything about the process yet, so any advice you have will help. If you don't mind sharing. Thank you, Frank.
Hello all,
My name is Tracy O'Neill, and I'm writing an article about single men adopting children for Virginia Quarterly Review. If anyone would be willing to share their story with me, I hope you'll consider sending me an email at to2284@columbia.edu. To tell you a little more about myself, I'm a freelance writer who has contributed to RollingStone.com, TheAtlantic.com, and the NewYorker.com. I've also written a novel called The Hopeful, which is about an adopted young woman and which was reviewed on Adoption.com:
http://adoption.com/book-review-the-hopeful
I look forward to hearing from you and learning from you.
Best,
Tracy
I am a single woman, Who chose to foster to adopt 6 years ago. I have had about 30 kids, but I have to say it was the best decision I have every made I just adopted my 1st child a 3 year old little boy I have had him almost 2 years. His BM showed up after I had him 3 months and decide to try to get him back. But she keep starting and stopping the treatment, finially the judge decide that was it. In the mean time she had a baby girl back in December of 2014 and I have her also, so they are now going to try to get her to let her daughter go so that I can keep them both and raise them together. So being a single parent is a very good thing I love my kids so much
Advertisements