Advertisements
Advertisements
Would you still be able to do a private adoption in Cambodia and then do the 2 year wait to get an immediate relative visa?
I am doing that right now with a Korean boy whom I adopted privately, without an agency (which was the only way he and many other children can get adopted in Korea.)
So is Cambodia closed off to Americans for all adoptions, or just through adoption agencies where you can't wait abroad for 2 years?
Hi. I just wanted to say thank you for giving me hope. I am a single male and am looking to adopt. I have trawled through the different internet sites for some guidance with little or no luck. Reading your posts has given me a glimmer of hope. The funny thing is I have just finished a two year stint in Korea-wish I knew you then. I am now in China but as a teacher I can relocate virtually anywhere in the world. I have been looking at various agencies and as you say they don't offer a lot of hope to single men. It would appear private adoption will be the way to go for me. I just now have to relocate to a country that will allow it. Maybe I will return to Korea. Again thank you and hopefully we can chat through msn or skype in the future. Cheers Paul
My e-mail address here is: singlemaleadoption@hotmail.com Corny I know but it seemed appropriate.
Advertisements
Since posting this, I have done a lot of research on my own and found that yes, I can adopt from Cambodia and then live with my child outside of America for 2 years to get a visa. It is only adoption through adoption agencies that has been stopped, not private adoptions. Here is some of the information I gathered from talking to the embassy, lawyers and adoption agencies still working in Cambodia:
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]First, is to do it through a deal with the childs parents or guardians, and second, is to adopt a child from an orphanage through his or her Embassy in Cambodia (inter-country adoption). In the first process, one has to go through lower level of authorities (commune/sangkat) and the court of law. The adopters resort to the latter procedure (second process)җadopting a child from an orphanage although s/he has to go through a longer process involving governmental authority of adopter and Cambodian authority ministerial level. An adopter may need to use an agent for s/he has to go through at least three Ministries (this process is suspended by the USA Government since 2001).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Regarding the age of adopter (single man) is as follows:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]1- for adoption under the first process:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]- An adoptive mother or father must be more than 25 years of age and must be at least 20 years older than the adoptee who is also must be less than 8 years of age. Only two adoptees may be adopted by an adopter.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]- There must be consent of the natural parent or guardian of the adoptee.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]2- for adoption under the second process: a single adopter shall be between 40 and 50 years of age in order to adopt a child.[/FONT][/FONT]
If you are already living abroad and are interested in adopting from Cambodia, please try to do so, as these kids are in desperate need of a future.