Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone,
...this is my first posting so please be gentle :)
I have been reading & loving your conversations and I'm really excited to join you all! What a wonderfully supportive and helpful environment this is!!
Anywho, I live in Calgary and am just starting the journey towards adoption. I am researching and gathering information right now and have just started chatting with a private agency here in town but haven't applied yet.
Despite being a AA woman, I was told that my chances of being placed with an AA child domestically would be slim so I'm looking further abroad - as far as the US at this point. I'm also considering other provinces - that would be my preference but I hear there are more AA infants to be placed in the US.
Can anyone give me any advice on US agencies who work well with Alberta? I have checked out the familyhelper.net link and am going through the list of agencies there. However, I really hope that some of you would be willing to share your experiences with me. I see that costs vary widely, as do waiting times, so I'm sort of prepared for that. :rolleyes:
I would really welcome PMs with agencies names.
Thanks all and I'm looking forward to talking with you all lots in the future. :)
Cheers
Hazel
Hi Hazel!!
I adopted domestically here in Alberta through an agency in Calgary. I do have several friends who adopted through the U.S.
Have you talked to all of the private agenices? I would think they may have some prefferred agencies...
One thing that was quite important for the people I know, was to work with an agency in a state with a low revokation (sp?) time. Especially since it is an international adoption.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing you around the forums!
Advertisements
Thanks for the advice Leigh,
I've only talked to the one Calgary agency so far but will perform due diligence. The revocation rate is the period of time the bmom can change her mind after the birth, right? (still getting used to the terms...and the acronyms) :confused:
A pbirthmom can change her mind any time after (or before) birth. Actually, most people here will tell you that a pbmom has to re-make her decision once the child is born....because now it is a REAL thing, their feelings may have changed. However, after signing consents for the adoption there is a set amount of time where the birthmom can change her mind. The time line varies state to state. This time period is called the revocation period.
Some states have irrevocable consents..My one friend adopted from New Jersey for this reason. However I've heard on here that they still have until the end of business day to revoke, so I'm not 100% sure on that any more.
Thanks Leigh, I guess nothing is 100% guaranteed.
I spoke with an International SW yesterday who warned that the US will be ratifiying the Hague convention next spring, so now I am seriously considering outside of North America. It seems I change my plans/goals on a daily basis!
Yeah, I had heard a while back that this may be an issue....I've actually been hearing it for a couple years now.
Sorry about your change of plans....I hope you find a country that works.
Advertisements