Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I think it depends on the social worker. When we became fost/adopt parents we already had 5 kids. Our homestudy worker loved us, but was pretty honest about the fact that some workers would not place with us based on the size of our family. Luckily, our first baby's sw really wanted an intact family with a stay at home mom (not that easy to come by...believe it or not). So we were blessed with child #6.
Even though she thrived, and we received glowing reports, we were still told outright by more than one sw that we had "too many children" and that they couldn't possibly be getting enough attention. (This was said over the phone...by people who had never met us.) One sw even choose a single mom with 3 other children over us!
Anyway...Our beautiful baby #7 has delays, is visually (and probably hearing) impared. Both our babies were "hard to place" but she was REALLY hard to place. We still had to meet with her sw to explain ourselves. He actually asked me if I had "Baby Fever". Now he is our biggest fan.
Anyway, that's just my experience in the foster care system. Private and international adoption is different, I'm sure.
BTW...I actually call my kids by their names...not numbers. Although sometimes I think it would be easier to say "#2, #3, #5...clean your rooms!" instead of trying not to call them by the names of their siblings, cousins, or family pets.
Hope that helps.
lela