Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm with Crispex and LilyMoon.
But adopting a slightly older child is a wonderful experience. DD had some survival behaviors (hid food) -- our answer was to put little piles of toddler food down on every flat surface she could reach (whole baby carrots, little veggie sticks, cheerios, teensy apple slices and bits of fresh bagels). At night, we sent her to bed with a REALLY stale bagel, which she could only suck/gum on. Would fall asleep almost instantly, with bagel gripped tightly in one hand....
Sensory and gross motor issues are possible (I'd suggest a PT and OT evaluation shortly after home-comeing). Language barriers can be an issue, but we swear by the book, "My First Thousand Words In Russian" (for communicating), and phonetic word lists for you (for the same).
Why did we choose a slightly older child? I had signed on as a substitute in our local school system in order to get "the inside scoop." Sadly, I had much training with special needs children, and one day was assigned as the teachng assistant in a special needs class. There, I met X, who had an unusual name, a repaired cleft palate, and the most severe autism I'd ever run across. I spent the entire day chasing X. At the end of the day, I commented about his unusual name. Head teacher: "Oh, you didn't know? He was adopted from Russia as a 6-month-old."
Soooo...I realized that he had been my child, I likely would have committed suicide. It ranks up as one of the three worst days of my life, the other two involving the deaths of family members.
I hope this helps! PM if you have questions.s