Advertisements
Advertisements
Well, I am not in Sacramento, but that's the closest city to me on the forums. I am actually in Shasta County a few hours north.
Anyone else from Shasta County?
We have been through three International Adoptions through Guatemala. I would be interested in connecting with others from Northern California. :coffee:
Advertisements
I used to live in Redding and my mom is still in Red Bluff (Tehama County, but just down the road), and was in Sacramento for 22 years. I have 2 Cambodian-born kids. Don't think we'll be doing playdates, though, as I now live in Seychelles, a small island nation in the Indian Ocean about 1000 miles of the coast of East Africa.
It was nice to see Shasta County written down, though. It's been a while!
Glad to hear there are more from the board on the West Coast! We lived in Marin for a few years, but we both grew up farther north of Marin and moved back after adopting!
Do any of you in the Sac area know of any support groups here in town? I am on a yahoo group for bay area parents, but I an never going to actually drive down to the bay area to attend anything.
My daughter is from Guatemala also.
Aimee
Advertisements
We are also not IN Sacramento, but in Elk Grove, Sacramento County.
We adopted our daughter from China almost 2 yrs ago, and we are currently chasing our second daughter from China.
Glad to see a post here from Shasta. How's the weather there?
Anyone else?
I'm in Elk Grove, too. Our agency does a monthly support group, but it's parents only, and it's up in Roseville. I'd really love to find something where my kids can be around adoptive FAMILIES. Like a park day or something similar.
Im in Citrus Heights, and in the very very begining stages, but someone recommended speaking with a group in person first.......Any groups out there for people who are begining the process??? I am chatting with an out of state agency, but I am going to a in-state agency informational meeting this week. any help suggestions????
There's a group in Shingle Springs for the El Dorado Hills area, but I haven't been, since that's nowhere near me. stillmank@gmail.com is Kristen's email.
I've found you really have to seek out your own support network. We have adoptive families at our church, in our park day group, and at our homeschool co op. I've even had people introduce me to other adoptive families we know, just because they heard I was adopting.
It's too bad this isn't a more active board, because clearly there's a need for local support groups.
There's a Meetup group, but you can't join until you have your adoptive child. I was really hoping to find something we could join NOW, so my kids could see other adoptive and waiting families and get a better understand of the whole idea.
I don't know where you're hoping to adopt from, but there's also a local chapter of Families with Children from China somewhere around here. Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from them. I need to follow up on that.
Good luck!
Advertisements