Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone!
I just discovered this forum when a moderator mentioned it.
We adopted while living in South Dakota, but we're here now. DD is 18 months old. It was a domestic adoption through an agency in Mississippi. We've had DD since she was 4 days old.
I guess that's it for now.
I'm the second Omahan. DH and I are both from Omaha but are stationed in San Diego. I'm in Omaha a few more weeks before I move back.
We're planning on adopting from Vietnam as soon as DH returns from a deployment.
Advertisements
Hi All,
We're living in Lincoln....but working with the adoption agency Adoption Links World Wide in Omaha....have any of you ever worked with them before?
Oh and the agency in MS...what is the name of it?
Just curious
Heather
How do you like the services you are getting? We are looking for an agency in Omaha and have not decided on which agency to go with. How did you decide on the agency you are using?
We are in Omaha. We have three children who were all adopted through Adoption Links Worldwide. Feel free to PM me. Our oldest 2 are Vietnamese and our youngest was a domestic adoption.
Scatterbrain
We are in Omaha. We have three children who were all adopted through Adoption Links Worldwide. Feel free to PM me. Our oldest 2 are Vietnamese and our youngest was a domestic adoption.
Scatterbrain-I had no idea you were in Omaha! We're really close. :)
Advertisements
Devildogwife--How's Cameron doing??
Are you stationed in San Diego or back in Omaha? My husband was stationed in San Diego for a while before we met. He was also in Okinawa. We met after he got out. He stayed in the Marine Reserves until our son was born and then he got out, but missed it too much and is now in the NE Air National Guard. I think he will stay in until he retires now. How long has your husband been active duty?
I'm hoping to move to NE or Iowa this next year. Does anyone know any good areas that are a) inexpensive, b) allow horses and chickens and other animals, c) have DSL, d) close enough to a city to have good medical care etc, and e) in or near a good county to do foster care or fost-adopt?
Thanks!
Hi Howdy. There is still a lot of country in both Iowa and Nebraska. It is pretty country if you like flat land and prairies. Nebraska Med Center has great health care. It is in Omaha. There are great communities near the city with acreages too. Good luck with the move!!
Howdy
I'm hoping to move to NE or Iowa this next year. Does anyone know any good areas that are a) inexpensive, b) allow horses and chickens and other animals, c) have DSL, d) close enough to a city to have good medical care etc, and e) in or near a good county to do foster care or fost-adopt?
Thanks!
There are many areas surrounding Omaha that would have what you're looking for. Plus, Omaha has the BEST children's hospital between Denver and St. Louis. Can you tell I love em? ;) Medical care here is excellent and plentiful. You have a ton of options. I know a nurse here is about to finalize her adoption. She has done fost-adopt and has had her son since birth. My son has a nurse practitioner who is a foster mom in Omaha too.
Scatter-DS and I are in Omaha and my DH is in San Diego working on his transfer out here. I don't think it's very likely though. He has 5 years in service; 1 year army national guard and 4 years active duty Marine Corps. He definitely a career man. He sounds just like your husband. He'd miss the military way too much if he got out. And Okinawa? I'm jealous. We wanted to go there next. I'm just hoping we can live together again sometime soon. :)
Advertisements
We (my husband and I) just started waiting to adopt domestically through Adoption Links in Omaha, Nebraska and I'm finding this wait to be extremely difficult. I've tried to find a support group of some kind for people waiting in Lincoln, but have had no luck, so I am so excited to have found people who are either going through this or have gone through this that live nearby! :grouphug: I am having such a hard time staying optimistic right now. I keep rethinking what we put in our profile and worry about any little reason why we might not be chosen by a bp. Did any of you experience this? How did you get through this? Would you mind sharing your experiences with me? I think it helps to hear of people that went through it and truly ended up adopting. It seems like a dream right now-too far away to grasp. Any suggestions for how you got through (or are getting through) the wait would be much appreciated. Thanks!:thanks:
nee18--Congratulations on your upcoming adoption!! The wait can be very trying. Some how when your child is placed in your arms all of that frustration and fear just seem to melt away. Hopefully you will get to experience that soon!! We have worked with the same agency you are working with for the past 12 years and have three children adopted through them. We absolutely love them! Our oldest two were adopted in Vietnam and our youngest was adopted in Nebraska. If I can be of any help to you please PM me. Know that we are here supporting you and hope your little one comes home soon!!
--Jan
Nee,
My husband and I are in the waiting mode too:coffee: ...it can be difficult wondering when the big day will happen-especially when you know your profile is being shown...(2 today!)
We keep reminding ourselves that God knows what is best and right for us.....that keeps me reassured that ultimately I can only do soooo much....the rest is not in our hands. So, you can question if an expectant mom or father will like your profile or what you could have changed....that will drive you crazy! If your profile wasn't up to par....you would have been told so. There will be an expectant mom or dad who WILL like your profile someday!!
If you can try to put a positive spin on this waiting game...You won't be as disappointed and anxious when you aren't chosen by a birth mom OR when you are just waiting for your profile to be shown in the first place.
I totally get what you are going through.....there doesn't seem to be an outlet for waiting adoptive parents provided by the agency.....so if you want to chat more..holla!!
Heather
Thanks so much to the both of you for your kind words and support. It definitely helps to hear from people who have adopted and are going through the same process as we are right now. How long did you wait (or how long have you been waiting) to be placed? We've only been waiting a little over a month, but it feels like forever! We've been told that a match can happen so quickly in our program that it almost adds pressure to be matched as soon as possible. It's hard to think realistically that it will probably take a little (or a lot) longer than we hope for. Good luck in your wait Heather! We've also been experiencing the anxiety of knowing when our profile has been shown-it's so hard not to stare at your phone all day, hoping it rings with good news, so I definitely know what you're going through. Hopefully we'll both have good news to share soon!
Renee:camo:
Advertisements
We completed our homestudy last July...we were matched with a bmom in December and she changed her mind the day we left for FL. There are those whose wait is barely a day after they finished their homestudy-it's pretty amazing how fast things can go...it all depends on what the birth mom is looking for really.
Having your profile shown and waiting to hear the news feels like high school all over again!
You really haven't been waiting long at all! Until you are faced with a pending adoption I don't think a family really understands how much more they could be doing while waiting for their baby....whether that means paying off more monthly bills or saving more ca$h for the adoption... time really is on your side.
Are you guys with several agencies or just the one? And have you talked about whether or not you'll leave before the relinquishments or signed or not? I know to ease the anxious feelings you can request to not be told when your profiles are being shown. Most agencies do this to relieve the pressure...I'm not sure it works!
I think since our profile has been shown numerous times, you get over that initial panicky feeling of waiting by the phone to hear some good news...because it is disappointing to hear you weren't chosen...the flip side is knowing that your time will come...just not "right" now:grouphug:
Talk to you later,
Heather
I just stumbled across this board. Our son just turned 2 and we are starting our second adoption.
We chose not to use an agency this time because we feel that it is important for us to establish a relationship with potential lifemothers on our own and because we beleive the wait will be less.
When we adopted our son we waited only 5 months and we can't to see him become a big brother again!
Good luck to all!
Kimberly
[URL="http://www.nebraskaopenadoption.com"]Nebraska Open Adoption[/URL]