Advertisements
Advertisements
I plan on getting both a sling and a carrier. I'm not sure which one will work best for me, so I plan on having at least one of each. I'm only about 5' so I need something for a short person. Please PM me with the site, or I'll google the name.
Thanks in advance!
I am only 5'2" and very short in the torso. I love my ERGO carrier...the only downside is that because I am short and my 14 month old is very tall, if I wear him on the front, I can't see out in front of me very well....it's ok when walking at the mall or some place with level floors, but most of the time I have to put him on my back (which is ok, as it is actually more comfortable that way...it is just easier on the front).
Advertisements
Actually I think Ergo carier would work well for a shorter torso person. My teen guatemalan DD is about 5ft and 120lb and she carries the babies in the ergo. Most any sling or pouch can be purchased in small or are adjustable to small. Anna
I am only 5' as well. We bought a Peanut Shell sling in micro fleece for our visit trip and it worked great.
My babies fell asleep almost immediately and slept most of the time they were in it--great for meals or lounging by the pool. You can find them online if you do a search on Peanut Shell sling. Depending on your frame, you will likely need a small or medium.
Heather, did you get to use your peanut by the pool on your visit trip? I'm very interested in getting something for the pool and wondered what you thought about the Peanut Sling for the pool. Would it get hot? What happens if it gets wet? I found a sling website (they're made like the Peanut Shell) that sells a special water sling, but I don't like the fabrics as well. It has to be really cool as the heat and humidity here in TN are insane at times and I'll get an uglier one if I have to to get the coolness.
Heather, is the microfleece very warm? I plan to foster in Antigua and don't want something that would be too warm. Wasn't sure if I should get a cotton one instead.
Kelly, one of the sites I looked at today had a mesh sling that would be great around water. PM me if you want the site.
Advertisements
I will tell you the Ultimate Wrap worked so well for me and Rosemary. She was so comfy in it. It's great for tiny babies - it's supposed to work up to 30 lbs or more, I think. I think it would stretch, though. It's a long piece of cotton (like t-shirt fabric) and she loved, loved, loved it. I am 5'1" and this worked best for me.... I tried the New Native sling and I must not have enough heighth b/c she and I were both uncomfortable. I also bought a Baby Bjorn (very compact and lightweight) to use and I've tried it on. It is so comfy I can't wait to use it. But - she was so little on my first trip (4 weeks - around 7-8 lbs) that the Baby Bjorn wouldn't work (safety reasons) and I liked the Ultimate so much I took it on my second. It also feels really secure. I'll pm some pics so you can see. I also have back problems and the Ultimate didn't seem to bother - but with a lot of weight, I think it would.... Hope this helps.....
I was going to ask a similar question, so I'll add it here. I've been looking at carriers and am trying to figure out which would be best for me with my bad back. So far, I'm leaning toward the Ergo, but I am wondering if any of you have tried the Baby trekker and what you thought of it. It looks very sturdy and secure but maybe hot? I'm going to go look at the Ellaroo and Ultimate Wrap, since I haven't come across those, yet. I can't believe how many different carriers there are!! It is definitely a bit overwhelming. Take care
I'm fairly petite and absolutely love the Baby Bjorn City carrier. It adjust well too, as my huband is 5'9 and he can use it too.
Good luck!
Advertisements
I like the Moby wrap. It's totally adjustable, so it would work for any height, and allows you to hold the baby in many different positions.
Im also short and use pouches, slings, any carrier, just fine. You have to make sure its the right size.
The microfleece Peanut Shell is a bit warm but its a great product.
I think a properly fitted pouch in a slightly stretch material is best for a new sling user. Love my Hotslings in Zoie print. Lucky Baby has a nice fabric selection but they are not stretchy but still nicely made.
I use a pool pouch made with Solarveil material. The material itself is a bit more scratchy but Evan didnt mind it. Single layer works fine (get a non padded) and it dries super quick. Works EXCELLENT as protection from the sun also. Took my 5 month old to an amusement park in the dead of summer for 12 hrs straight for 2 days and only used the sling as a coverup, worked great.
Mei tais are great also. I have 2 I love. Different brands are made taller though so it helps to research and look to see how each person makes theirs. I have a BabyHawk XT (extra tall) which is better for when my little guy is sleepy as it gives more head support. But for just walking around I prefer my Freehand Baby as it has a shorter body.
I could go on and on about the slings. PM me if you want more info or discounted sites.
We bought the peanut shell. Paid way too much ($68) but, I love it. I got it online, however if you are staying at the Marriott.... A woman that works at the La Vista (one of the waitresses) makes them. She asked if she could make a pattern from my sling and of course I let her. When we were there for pickup she was selling them for $8.00.
She has several varieties to choose from if you don't like the peanut shell design.
Advertisements
Do not lose hope It may take a while but it does not mean that any of us has not heard of you or we do not care about it. We can move through your story and love to help but live in another place that means a relationship can only be able to share just one real family experience via email. I have answered many postings but still, have a long term relationship or material that is not geographically viable, but I try to reach the right person / myself Offer and then we can start on the road. To be a family. Hope everybody here even if it takes some time.
Last update on July 16, 12:08 pm by hasan rehan.
I have a short torso and for me, having the waistband low around my hips is the key. Everyone goes on about how high up around the waist is the best but that totally doesn't work for me!
I use a Tula, so I don't know if that'll transfer over to your carriers, but low low low is great for me. Kid is 13 months and 25lbs and I have no problems carrying him on the front for hours.