Has anyone applied for a tax id number for baby? HELP!!!
I have to get my taxes done asap for my financial aid and I am going to apply for a tax id number for Addyson so I can do that. Now, there are two forms on the IRS website. One says that it is a form for personal tax id number for pending adoptions, but then there is another one that says for children who are not US citizens...

Addyson came home on the IR-4 Visa because dh didn't visit with me, if that changes anything. Anyone know which form I should use???

Here is the information:
Parents in the process of a domestic U. S. adoption who do not have and/or are unable to obtain the child's Social Security Number (SSN) should request an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) in order to claim the child as a dependent and (if eligible) to claim the child care credit. [URL="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7a.pdf"]Form W-7A[/URL] (PDF), Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions, is used by qualifying taxpayers to obtain an ATIN. To get Form W-7A, you may go to any IRS walk-in site or call 1-800-829-3676. You may also download the form [URL="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7a.pdf"]here [/URL]in Adobe PDF format. For more information about the ATIN, refer to the [URL="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7a.pdf"]Form W-7A[/URL] (PDF), instructions.

If the child is not a U. S. citizen or resident, use [URL="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf"]Form W-7[/URL] (PDF), Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, to obtain an ITIN. For more information, refer to [URL="http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html"]Individual Taxpayer Identification Number[/URL].

TIA everyone!:thanks:

I have to add in here that if I WERE president we wouldn't be having this conversation because Guat members wouldn't have to pay taxes (not even file them!) Oh yeah!!
I really don't think you can use either. My understanding is the ATINs are only for in process domestic adoptions and both forms say not to use it if you qualify for a SS number, which Addyson would. She does not have to be a citizen to get a SS# as she is a legal resident. You will just have to go back after the readoption and have her status changed from resident to citizen.
Hey Chica - ATINS only apply to domestic adoptions, and my understanding is that if someone is eligible for a SSN, you cannot obtain an ITIN for them. Here's a excerpt I found online:

IRS issues ITINs to foreign individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible for an SSN. ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because non-citizens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

You might want to check with the IRS. Here's their 800 number - Telephone Assistance for Individuals
Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040.

Best wishes getting your taxes done! :flowergift:

I have to add in here that if I WERE president we wouldn't be having this conversation because Guat members wouldn't have to pay taxes (not even file them!) Oh yeah!!

Really? Crap. Our Social Worker told us to do this because I HAVE to get my taxes done as soon as possible. She said that she had other families do it?
Hmmmm . . . sounds like she is confused as both forms do state not to use them in your particular situation. It really is not a big deal to get the SS#. Really, just go into the SS office, and you should have the number in a week or two. You will have to go back and change her citizenship after you complete the readoption, but it really isn't a big deal.
The good news is that it only takes about 2 weeks to get the Social Security number. In fact, my son's came in a week.

It stinks that it is so unclear....the woman at the SS office who at first didn't want to take the translated documents kept telling me that I could get a TIN for John which my agency said I could not get.

Good luck!
So even though she came home in the IR-4 I can still get the social security number?

I'm on the line with the IRS and he is telling me that I can file an ATIN for her, but I think I am just going to go to the social security office and file for the number instead. What a bunch of hoopla this all is!!!!
Okay, lol, here's another question for you guys. How do I prove Addyson's citizenship? All I have in the immigration green card. Is she a US Citizen if she came home on the IR-4 Visa?
Yes, you most definetly can get a number for her. She is a legal resident and definetly qualifies for a number. You will have to show her green card (and a lot of other paperwork as well, so take whatever you have.) After you have completed her readoption she will be a US Citizen (instead of a legal resident) and you will have to go back and change her status with Social Security. Sak9645 has an awesome post about this somewhere that I will hunt up for you. LOTS of totally confused people at the IRS. Wink

edited to add: Check out this thread Mandy. Scroll down to the post from Sak9645. She knows what she is talking about. [url]http://forums.adoption.com/russia-adoption/280419-social-security-number.html?highlight=social+security+number[/url]

Good luck!!
You absolutely can get a SS card for DS even is she came home on an IR4 - it will just say that she is legal resident instead of a citizen. It is easy to change that later.

We were also in a hurry to do our taxes, it took us about a week to get Hope's card in the mail after visiting the Social Security office!!
My understanding is the same as Debbie's. When Aza came home, I read up on the temporary number and couldn't get one because she was eligible for a SSN. We came home IR-4 also. Yes, you can get the number and later have her name and citizenship status changed with little difficulty. And I believe you can get the number before you get the actual card by calling in. It took us 4 weeks to get our card but they told me if I needed the number sooner that I could find out before it came in the mail.
that's great, thanks everyone. Dpline, you're right, that is a great post by sak9645! Thanks! You guys are so smart!!
Mandy, I didn't know that these were necessary. I'm confused. I'll have to ask my attorney about this. Let me know what you find out.....
Bumping this thread because I have been having SS problems too and am now panicked to read you can't get a tax ID number from the IRS if you qualify for a SS card because.....

By what everyone says on here (and I believe is true since you all did this) as soon as your child comes home even on an IR4 visa like our daughter, you can just take her perm resident card (and all other paperwork) but use that for a SS card, then later change it after the COC etc.

The reason I am panicked is we are trying to do taxes too and we went to 2 different SS offices today and BOTH would not file for our daughter with the perm resident card. We went back and forth with them at both offices to no avail.

Long story short, I posted on another post floating around by me the whole thing, but IF as you all say (and I believe) that we qualify for a SS card and 2 offices will not give us one, we are in big trouble and can't file taxes because as this post says we can't get a IRS tax ID if we qualify for SS. And SS won't let us apply with the perm resident status!

The second SS office after much back and forth came up with his solution of putting our daughter in the application and his computer with her readopted name but said the INS will reject it when they receive it unless we get our COC papers in before his papers arrive.

The INS will reject it because the SS office refused to use the perm resident card (and status and name) and are putting it under our daughters readopted new name and the INS have her perm resident name (before readoption) since we have not filed the forms for the COC yet with the name change.

All times are GMT. The time now is 8:04 pm.