Advertisements
Advertisements
I was just wondering about something. OUr state allows foster/adopt homes no more than 8 kids/ home.
I'm wondering how come there are so many families who have large numbers of children in the home? I would love to have a large family, but seems our adoption laws limit the number. If we get the two foster/adopt kids we're waiting for, then we'd have to wait until our oldest moves out to adopt again.:mad:
so those of you who have added to your large families through adoption - how did you do it? Do they make exceptions in some cases?
Advertisements
We have 2 bio daughters and have a date in a few days:banana: :banana: to finalize the adoption of a sib group of 5. Our state has the law of 8 kids. There is a sib group of 2 that we would love to add to our family but that would put us at 9.
Hey I'm new (well new to posting-not to reading!) I'm dreaming of a VERY large family in the future :)!!
That federal law about sibling groups is really interesting, thanks. Does it apply only to the children to be adopted, or to the kids already in the home? I.E. if you have say 8 kids in the home, but they were adopted as 4 sibling groups of 2, does that count as 4 children? Or is it just that any new sibling groups count as "1 child" in that respect?
In Kansas, foster homes can be licensed for 4 kids to have a total of 6 children in the home (up to 4 foster and 2 legal children). Legal children over the age of 16yrs do not count as a "child". If you don't have any legal children then you could get a waiver to have up to 6 foster children.
I've never heard of a limit on the number of children if you are adopting. We've had families with 13+ children through birth and adoption. Many larger families find it difficult to be selected as a pre-adoptive placement for additional children to be adopted out of foster care.
Advertisements
We have 6 children (ages 7, 7, 4, 4, 3, 3). We adopted 2 from Cambodia, 2 from Haiti, 1 domestically (originally adopted from Haiti, then disrupted) and 1 homemade. There are a few countries out there with family size limits and lots of kids that need homes.
Kelly
I've six adopted kids, and my State (WI) has the limit of eight kids per family, BUT they allowed me to take in a sibling group of THREE, so I have nine right now... there is a one year old sibling I"m trying to get as well, but they're not being swayed so easily and it's doubtful I'll be able to get placement of him... but it's worth a try!
:~) Kelly
Check your state website for children in family services. Example Illinois is DCFS, every state calls it something different but it should be in there licensing standards, or if you don't want to try and read all that fun stuff get their 800 number call and ask.
In Illinois you can have six children total if you foster. There are exceptions and you can get waivers for large sibling groups. They also count specialized kids as two. Those kids have medical or behavioral/emotional issues.
Advertisements
Every state is different when it comes to how many children you may have in the home, and even then, each state will specify how many of those kids can be foster kids, and how many can be biological or adopted kids. For example, in Louisiana, you are allowed a total of 8 kids, and that includes all kids in the home. However, in Alabama, you can have as many kids in the home as you have room for as long as you don't have more than 6 foster children at a time, and even then, you can get special permission from the state to go over that limit if it is due to the placement of a sibling group that the state doesn't want separated. So basically, here in Alabama, if you keep adopting foster children, then as soon as the adoption is finalized, then that opens up a spot for a new child to come.
But like I said, every state is different on how they are set up, so you really would have to contact the state and ask them directly about the rules. But I will also add this, if you are adopting from another state, they can judge your home based on their standards if they choose to. For example, I have the room for up to 6 foster children, and I had inquired about a sibling group in California, but I was told that because I already have 6 children (3 bio, 3 adopted), which is the limit there, that I could not adopt through their state. So, I guess it all depends on where you live, and from which state you are adopting from. I hope this helps!!
Great info, "theivoryraven". So how can one work that from another State. WI has new "rules" to allow only four kids in a foster home. The agency who did my foster-to-adoptions won't update my homestudy because I have eight kids in the home. What if I wanted to do a homestudy and then apply for kids from ALabama? Would I be allowed to adopt Alabama kids based on that? How then could I get a homestudy since my agency won't do it? I suppose an agency that does homestudies for a cost could do it??? How would I find that info??
I know there are some private agencies that will do homestudies, but I have to warn you, it could be quite expensive. My sister went to a private agency and inquired about them doing her homestudy for a private adoption that had been arranged, and the agency wanted $1500 to do it. Even then, it might not be possible to go that route if the agency you go through judges your home based on the same standards as the state does. However, if you can find an agency willing to work with you, then it could work. If you want to adopt from Alabama, then you just have to be able to show them that you are an approved home and your new homestudy will let the folks in Alabama know how many kids you have been approved for. After that, it is just a matter of getting matched. But here is another warning for you, when you don't go through the state, the adoption process can become quite expensive, especially when it is across state lines. When a child is moved from one state to another, it requires a ICPC, which stands for Interstate Child Protection Contract. It is a huge mountain of paperwork, and I can tell you from experience, it takes them a LONG time to get it done. And they might expect you to pay for at least part of the cost.
The first step I would suggest for you, is to find some local agencies and inquire about their child limit for your home. If you can find one that is willing to work with you and you feel comfortable with them, before starting the process, you should then contact the state of Alabama to be sure they would be willing to allow an interstate adoption through that agency. Here's a web site that has the contact info you will need for Alabama DHR:
[url=http://dhr.alabama.gov/contact/Contact_Us.aspx]Alabama Department of Human Resources - Contact Us[/url]
If Alabama says they could do it, then you could start the homestudy, and begin looking for any children you might be interested in. Here's the site for Alabama's Heart Gallery:
[url=http://www.heartgalleryalabama.com/]Home- Heart Gallery Alabama[/url]
Good luck!!
Advertisements
knudsons
I KNOW THE ANSWER , I KNOW THE ANSWER YEAH FINALLY ONE I KNOW!!!!!!!
There is a federal law that overrides all state laws on this if any of the kids are sibs they are counted as a unit of 1.Except in the circumstances of children under age 2, where there are more rules.
Been there, done that , Fought that War and won!!!
would you be willing to share more about this. We have 6 kids ( 3 sibling sets) and Maine says no more until the kids are 18. We hope to adopt another sibling group.. how do I proceed from here to have this law applied n our situation?
I dream of a big and united family. My husband supports me but partly. We have two children - Christian we adopted, I gave birth to Cameron. My husband and I really want 2 more children. I want to adopt. My husband wants one child, whom I will give birth and a second child to adopt. Unfortunately we don't have room for more children.