Advertisements
Advertisements
I am interested in adopting a child from Asia or the Pacific islands. Which countries (typically) have the smoothest, most trustworthy adoption systems and allow single US women (age 30+) to adopt?
( I was especially interested in the Philippines, Thailand and India. )
Note: I am a single woman in my thirties with a steady job and more than able to (financially, physically and emotionally) provide for a child. ( I have been setting aside savings since I was 18 yrs old when I discovered I was infertile.)
I am interested in adopting one child (gender is irrelevant) between the ages of infant to about 6 yrs old. ( I would not be able to accommodate a special needs child.)
*Safety* is also a factor in selecting which specific country to adopt from, as I would have to travel there and spend some time to bond with my child before hand.
Any US single women who have an adopted from any of these regions, please feel free to share your personal thoughts & experiences. ( I realize some countries are not open to singles adopting or frown upon it.) I would greatly appreciate your honesty & insight. Thank you! :)
Have you looked at Photolistings??
Has any child or Agency particularly caught your eye??
We Adopted from India in 2002. Our or my understanding is you practically have to be Indian decent to Adopt from there now.
Vest Wishes in your Adoption Journey!!
Juli Ethan
Advertisements
MsLuna
I am interested in adopting a child from Asia or the Pacific islands. Which countries (typically) have the smoothest, most trustworthy adoption systems and allow single US women (age 30+) to adopt?
( I was especially interested in the Philippines, Thailand and India. )
I am interested in adopting one child (gender is irrelevant) between the ages of infant to about 6 yrs old. ( I would not be able to accommodate a special needs child.)
International adoption is not what it used to be. As a single woman, your options are pretty much limited to older and/or special needs children. You have to be realistic and find out what is possible. As a single woman, you are definitely disadvantaged and have less options. You cannot just pick and choose a country like a couples can.
It will be hard to find a country with the parameters that you mentioned (age < 6, healthy, Asia/Pacific Islander). Let me know if you find one :)
Regarding the countries you mentioned, here is what I know:
1. Philippines - singles can adopt healthy children over 9 or children with special needs.
2. Thailand - very long process (like 3 years from what I heard), and singles can only adopt children with special needs. I am not aware of an agency that works with single women adopting from Thailand. Let me know if you find one. :)
3. India - as non-Indian and single, you can only adopt a child with moderate to severe special needs.
Your best bet may be the Marshall Islands. Look up agencies that specialize in this country. One word of caution though: The Marshall Islands, too, prefer to place with couples, so they may give you a hard time.
Alternatively, you could wait for Vietnam or Cambodia to reopen. They used to place healthy children and had flexible criteria regarding the "parental requirements laundry list" (age and marital status etc). However, it is more than likely that this will not be the case when/if they reopen. In all likelihood, they will open a pilot program with special needs kids.
PM me if you like.