Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Whoknew, no we didn't use a private agency. We adopted toddlers from the foster system. All but one was legally free when placed in our home. The 11 month old was not yet legally free when placed, but the TPR trial was scheduled. (I can't remember if I stated in my other post what the ages were of the kids we've adopted, but they were 26 months, 14 months, 14 months and 11 months.) ASFA timelines give the bio parents 12 months to comply with the caseplan; these kids had parents who were unable/unwilling to comply with the case plan, so they ended up going to TPR prior to the one year date. One child had gone thru a reunification attempt, and then both bio parents signed relinquishment papers.
Also we were willing/able to adopt children with probable fetal alcohol, born drug addicted, etc., which I think is why we were matched with the little ones we inquired about.
Additionally, we sent out many, many, MANY inquiries about waiting children in our state. For every 10 inquiries we sent out we'd only get maybe between 4-6 responses. Usually the responses were 'not interested in your family' or 'child already matched'. We also were considered at committee for several children with whom we were not matched, so it wasn't a cakewalk.
We've had homestudy in hand (so to speak) and ready to adopt since the fall of 1999. In 7 years we adopted 4 kids, 3 of whom are children from the general population of children waiting adoption from foster care. (One of whom was a relative so we didn't have to go through the same recruitment process for that child.)