Advertisements
Advertisements
John is almost 17 months old and has been home for 10 1/2 months. I have been trying to find and even start a support/play group but have been unsuccessful. I would love my son to know other adoptees especially Guatemalans but am having no luck.
My Social Worker just called to let me know of a playgroup that meets at the agency twice a month on Fridays. Of course my day off is Thursday but I could try to switch once a month.
My question is for those of you who have older adopted children or any adopted children, how important do you feel it is for our children to have these connections? I mentioned the playgroup to my mother and she said it would be making an issue of John being adopted. I disagree but since I am not having much luck finding groups, I guess I want to know if I should try harder.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!
I always go to my agenct functions and just started going to a playgroup with other Guatemalan kids. In my opinion it is beneficial to my daughter to see other kids who look like her , and I know that sounds bad but I don't mean anything bad about it but I figure if she keeps these relationships and someday feels different or embarrassed she will have friends who are in the exact same situation as her . I just feel like I owe it to her to bulid those relationships. I cannot really explain it well and I am sorry but I hope that helps a little
Advertisements
We belong to two playgroups in Atlanta just for children who were adopted from Guatemala. I enjoy it and so does my son! It's nice to talk to other mommies who have been through the same experience as me. Plus, I agree that it's good for my son to see other children that look that him--with parents that don't. ;)
Kelly and Becky:
Thanks for your input. I will keep looking for groups in my area.
Kathy
I agree with your mother. I think it makes an issue of his being adopted and an might make him feel he's different from non-adopted children. I want my son to have friends from all backgrounds, but would stay away from adoptive only playgroups. I want him to grow up just thinking family is family, however they are formed.
I disagree. I don't think it's about stressing the fact that they're adopted--I think it's important for children to see other children who look like themselves.
In fact, someone recently posted a study about adult Korean children and this was an area of difficulty for them. They wanted to see other children like them. Another area of difficulty was that their white parents "dismissed" their racial struggles. That they were almost "too colorblind". I think bonds with children of the same background will be invaluable.
Advertisements
Hi
Some states have a Latin American Parents Association..we have belonged since 1990..
We have get togethers and social functions..and you have a directory of other kids from LA in your area..
Not only Guatemala but other LA/CA countries..
Hey Kathy !
Well, everyone is surely entilted to their own opinion on issues.
What I did was posted here on the Forum asking if their were other families out there from our state & if so if they would like to get together, the response I got was wonderful ! There were families from all over the state & even other close states that have joined us for gatherings / picnics & if people wanted to continue a relationship with one another they did so.
We've made some very close connections & friends through doing this & are having our 3rd picnic in June.
There are some of us that get together on a regular basis more often.
I believe it's about getting together for the children as well as us parents, it's wonderful to know that we all have something so wonderful in common & will hopefully carry these relationships through our lives.
Personally, I wouldn't say for me it's about looking a certain way. It's about who we are inside that matters & if our children grow up continuing a relationship with others from their birth country that's wonderful, I think it's a beautiful thing.
We, as parents can certainly relate to the bond that we all have.
Good Luck !
Kathy
Anthony's Mom
Mostly "she" will be in playgroups without other IA kids. We are lucky to have found a pretty active LAAF group in our area so we will be able to meet up with other Guat kids too from time to time.
I have no real experience here but I honestly dont believe that spending a few hours 2 day a month with kids who might look like him will make an "issue" out of things. I could see if you ONLY had him around other Guat kids but Im guessing in general he will be around all sorts of people.
In addition to what Kala said about posting here, have you tried posting on the local forum for your city/state? You can follow the first sticky on the first page of the Guat Forum to get to the local forums.
Advertisements
Hello there,
We jsut recently moved to a new area and I found (Ok, she found me!!) a play group for adopted children in the New Hampshire/Maine seacoast area and I must say, I loved it! We only attended one play group so far but plan to attend the rest ...... We go because it gets us all out of the house .... the children LOVE to play .... I get mommy time with adults :thanks: and they share a common bond --> they wer adopted. There are not only adopted children and not only Guatemalan adopted children. I think that it is up to your comfort level and what YOU want for yourself and your child. We are making the decision to have our children exposed to al types of familes and children ....
Just my .02 ---> follow your gut and look for one. Go to one meeting and if you don't like it or feel uncomfortable, don't go again.
Have a great week!
Maura.
By the way, where are you?
Thanks for all your input. There is an organization ACONE that I am going to join. I am in Massachusetts and the local forums for MA are not too busy. In the fall I organized a group of Single Adoptive Mothers from Guatemala but John got sick and we could not attend. And I tried to organize another but could only get a few responses and then only one confirmed. I will try again when it gets a little warmer as I do think it is important for both John and I to know other adoptive families.
If anyone on here is from MA and wants to start a playgroup, let me know!!!
I think that country/region specific adoption playgroups are marvelous.
The playgroups often include activities aimed at teaching children about their birth heritage -- celebration of holidays, eating special foods, etc.
They are great for children living in an area where there are few children who joined their families by adoption or few children from their country of birth. It's important for children to learn that their families are not "odd".
They give parents a chance to talk with others like them about medical and other issues that are specific to internationally adopted children or children adopted from a particular country.
There are usually so many other activities in a young child's life that spending two hours a month in a country-specific or adoption-specific activity does not "make an issue" of international adoption. It does, however, help children and families to be more comfortable with their unique status.
Sharon