Advertisements
Advertisements
Well looking about the forums, it's sad to see so many with the newest posts being year, years...
So figure bring some more life about!!
Ok so,
Christmas and Easter mornings, it was allways a LONG time family tradition to go to my mothers for breakfast... which was always a pain in the dupa. Loading kids up carting them all out, over out, in blah blah blah... Over the years adding more children I said NO more, we will see you at lunch time.
Well after my ex left, he was such a meanie head to be polite as I can be. I wanted to be the "cool fun" mom I wasn't alloud to be and always wanted to be. So I presented to my kids, This is the first holiday without daddy here, we need new traditions, so, what shall we have for breakfast? ANYTHING you want! It was a easy answer "Ice cream"
My husband coming into our lives and family found this "no problem"
So every Easter and Christmas we have Ice Cream for breakfast. We go and get everyones favorite, and they are welcome to eat as much of it as they want.
We have several family traditions.
Every year after Thanksgiving we get together at my Mom's to make gingerbread houses with the kids. It started out with just my 2 boys, this year we had like 12 kids, ranging in age from 15 to 1. The teenagers liked it just as much as the little kids did.
We also get together Christmas Eve and make Christmas cookies with my Mom. Even though they don't believe in Santa, they still LOVE making cookies.
The week before Christmas we get together with my DH family (all their kids, grandkids, friends of the family, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins) and decorate the Christmas tree together. And every year his parents dance to Elvis' Blue Christmas.
My boys are 14 and 11 and they STILL look forward to doing these things every year.
Advertisements
For the last 6 or 7 years, I have invited my nephew and our friends' little girls over in early December to decorate cookies. I bake the cutout cookies in advance, mix some basic icing colors, then leave a few bowls of icing for them to "custom blend" colors. I order all kinds of sprinkles, dragees and sugars from a specialty baking website, cover the kitchen island w/ paper, put DH's old shirts on them and they go wild. Santa in a tie dyed shirt, Rudolph w/ foot and mouth disease, Angels w/ light sabres, leopard spotted ornaments...you name it, they come up with it.
It has been fun to see how they've become more imaginative as they've gotten older. I can't wait until H is old enough to participate w/ them.