Advertisements
Advertisements
I've been freelance writer for the last 15 years, and I am now embarking on a new, exciting project that I need lots of help to complete! But first, let me tell you a little about myself...
I was adopted shortly after I was born, by two wonderful parents, and life has been pretty good to me for the most part. And although I have always been curious about my birth parents, I have conducted only passive searches I never wanted to find someone who didn't want to be found. Then last year, as I was doing my yearly search on Adoption.com, I was stunned to find that someone was looking for me! Since then, I have been reunited with my birth mom, and my sister (only 10 mths younger!) and brother - all a very, very positive experience.
So, no longer a searcher, I now find myself in a new phase... I returned to White Shield (home for unwed mothers, where I was born) for the first time only recently, looking for pictures to fill a page in a family book. While on a tour of the facility, I was profoundly moved, and later wrote about my experience as a way of sharing it with my family. And though I had never intended to share it beyond those bounds, I found myself thinking more and more about the place; not just how it relates to me and my situation, but about all the young women and their children who have passed through the institution(it֒s been open since 1886!), and all the lives that have been altered. So I felt compelled to send my essay to the executive director of White Shield, with a suggestion that perhaps there might be others who have something meaningful to say about their experiences there, and that those stories may lay a foundation for writing a history of the place. Her reply was enthusiastic: In her words, the story of White Shield needs to be told in the voices of the individuals who have inhabited these hallways over the last century. So you have put my dream into words
It is my hope that, through Adoption.com, other White Shield babies and mothers will find their way to me, so that I can add their stories to my own, and weave together these personal accounts with a narrative history; ultimately producing a book that reaches beyond the facts and statistics, and finds the heart and soul of the White Shield home.
If you have a story to share, or some advice for me on how to find other White Shield "alumni," I'd love to hear from you.
I have been searching for my brother. He was born at the white shield home, Portland, Or. On or about June 29 1966-67. I'de love to reunite him with my father, who was young and had no say in the matter. Our father just wants to know how his life was and/or possibly hug(hold) his son for the first time. It seems the records have been relocated to their corporate office in Long Beach, CA. Im not sure if the birth father has any say in opening the records? Do you have any info on this subject?
Advertisements
Hi. I was born at White Shield in Portland Or and was reunited in 1980. I have also visited White Sheild but only from the outside. my birth mother was not ready to go inside. This has been several years ago and after the holidays I will approach the subject of her experience there. As I will my birth father. He may not remember much. No they are not old I was reunited very young. He just has a crummy memory. I want to also add Oregon has the law passed you can get your Orignal birth certificate if that will help. I would love to add anything I can to your history book. If you wanna PM me your address so I can send you what information I have that would be great.
I just recently moved to Portland and found a job with White Shield. When I first went there I heard the history of the place and instantly I was fascinated. Before I had heard that you were trying to gather information I thought it would be an amazing experience to put something like that together! I went home and decided to google and found your posting on this website. I am not adopted myself but have a family member who is a birth mom. I was wondering how the project is coming along? I would love to be any part of the project- if you need help, ideas, an encouraging voice! Please let me know!!
Thanks and good luck!
jeny303
I just recently moved to Portland and found a job with White Shield. When I first went there I heard the history of the place and instantly I was fascinated. Before I had heard that you were trying to gather information I thought it would be an amazing experience to put something like that together! I went home and decided to google and found your posting on this website. I am not adopted myself but have a family member who is a birth mom. I was wondering how the project is coming along? I would love to be any part of the project- if you need help, ideas, an encouraging voice! Please let me know!!
Thanks and good luck!
I would be honored to help you with this in any way I possibly can. I have my memories from my time there but Im not sure if I have photos of the place. I have been looking thru my photos for the past week, maybe I will discover a few. You never know. Let me know if I can assist you. Here is my email address.... S
lilgypsy@goldcom.com
Advertisements
I have never even heard of White Shield until reading this post, but I would love to read your book when it comes out. It sounds like it will be a very interesting and informative history.
Hello,
I was a birth mom at White shield in 1979 .My daughter was born in April I kept her with me for four days then relinquished her. I went in going to keep her.Back then the moms lived downstairs and us pregos lived upstairs. The moms could live a White Shield for up to two years.I arrived then in December of 1978 right after Christmas. I had such a great time a lot of great memories. I remember sneaking down stairs and the moms sneaking upstairs with their babies which we were not supposed to do.Always got caught .But we had the greatest counselors ever. We had a store there which we could buy goodies.I remember all of our meals together us pregos the moms and their babies and doing clean up.We had Lamaze classes .We used Ice in baggies and set them on our feet . To concentrate as we were having a contraction.I took a crouchet class and made a baby blanket for my baby.It was about two months before I had her that I decided on adoption. I had talked to the other girls that were doing the same and decided it was for the best for myself and my baby.I quickly made a blanket a blue and white one I was convinced I was having a boy and somewhere in my mind I had convinced myself it would be easier to do what I had chosen if it were a boy.The day came and I went to the hospital to have her. My friend Denise was with me in the delivery room and she gave Amanda her first bath.Denise had given her son up in February and we have remained friends all these years.Special bond.Back then in the hospital we all moms were in one big room.
I arrived at the hospital in a ambulance I remember the poor ambulance drivers face when I yelled I have to push boy did they drive faster.And I came back to white Shield in a ambulance with another room mate Annie she delivered the same day as I and she had a boy Aoril 27th. So now there is this dilemma on my baby blanket I had a girl. My blue and white blanket was huge and now I only have a few days to make a pink and white
blanket.It was much smaller.Annie went home with her son and I gave her the blanket. I stayed a few days then the day came to give her up. The night before she slept with me all night not a peep from her.I awoke to her little arms over her head and just as content as can be. I gave her a bath and dressed her in pink and packed her blanket and letter I wrote her up.And they came and got her. I cried and cried so hard.She turned her head and watched me until they turned the corner and we could not see each other any more.I knew then we would reunite when she was 18.And sure enough we did. I opened my files on April 27th her 18th birthday.She made contact a few days later.She still has her letter and pink and white blanket a little faded and worn.When we spent our first night together again I awoke to her next to me she was content and her arms were over her head just like that day when she left me 18 years ago.We are very close she is married and I am waiting on grandkids. Her adoptive parents are the best people.We keep in contact on a fairly regular basis.And guess what I am a mom of two son,s. Well that is my story there is so much more but I think I wrote a book allready. Kym
I lived at white shield myself in 1974 and gave birth to my son while there. what a blessing that place is i was pregnant at 14 gave birth at 15 and there would have been no way in the world i could have went thru that and kept my son and went to school , and learned how to become a mother . i owe so much to them at the time i thought my mom sent be to a prison, nothing even close. a place where ppl cared about young mothers . im so happy to hear you have connected to your birth family , you now have the best of both worlds. bless you and your family bonnie