Advertisements
Advertisements
I was hoping someone can give my DH and I some advice. We have just signed our placement contracts with our agency and noted that during our trips to Russia we are required to carry huge amounts of cash to give directly to the Russian co-ordinator. I am very happy with the agency we are using, they are very trustworthy, but I am very nervous about carrying huge amounts of cash while travelling (it is not a practice my DH and I usually think is very sensible!). I am well aware that this is very common when adopting from Russia. Can anyone give me any personal experiences or advice on the best way to handle this situation?
Thanks so much! :thanks:
We also used money belts and divided the money between us. We also did NOT take them off to go through the scanners. WE just carefully tucked our clothes over and around them. We were never "found out." We will do the same for trips 2 & 3 when we too have to carry a LOT of money.
Best to your new family.
Advertisements
We ordered new money from the bank; it is amazing how small $13,000 is in new 100s. We bought two kind of money belts. My husband and I both had the wait bets where the bulk of our cash was and he also had a neck strap where our passports and oney needed for the airport was (or money for daily use while in country). That way we didn't flash all of the money around. We did however have to take all of the money belts off in Frankfurt when going through security. We just made sure that the belts went through the x-ray machine after my husband was searched so he coould grab them as soon as they went through. Hope this helps.
Mykidsmom
Use money belts and divide the amount between the 2 of you. We were not accustom to carrying large sums of cash but all worked out fine. Make contact now with a bank so you can get the new/like new money that you will need, banks do not always have this on hand. Keep it simple and take 100's for the Russian Coordinator, less bulk more comfortable.
Actually I always get a smile when I think of walking into the bank and saying.
"May I please have $10,000 of new unmarked, uncirculated sequentially numbered bills?"
Then you just wait for the response for the teller.
We used 1 money belt that I wore. Tucked it below the belt line of my pants and had no problems with any trip on either of our adoptions.
right now is a great time to request new money from your bank. we were told by our bank that they get their "new" money at Christmas time. We use Bank of America and it took them a few weeks to get our money together, ask now :)
We only needed $5000 in cash but we are not in Russia. Good luck!
Also, ask your agency if brand new money is required. We thought it was, but really good looking non creased bills was more than good enough for our trip.
mlb
he also had a neck strap where our passports and oney needed for the airport was (or money for daily use while in country). That way we didn't flash all of the money around.
I'm a frequent international traveler, and I lived in Europe for about five years. Please, please DO NOT use those pouches with the neck straps! The stupid bead at the back of your neck is like a giant blaring advertisement that says "here's where my money is! I'm an American and I'm rich!" It takes a pickpocket or a band of thieving kids about five seconds to cut through the neck strap and have that bag in their hands, even if you tuck it in your clothes.
If I have a lot of money, I use a waist belt that can be completely hidden. If I just have a regular sum, I use a plain old handbag, carried very carefully in a football hold under my arm so it can't be snatched. I never speak English while on public transport if I don't have to , and if I absolutely must, I talk as quietly as I can. It's people who are dressed inappropriately, who are talking in English in loud voices, and who have the beads on their necks who are just walking invitations to burglary...
Advertisements
The thing about the neck pouch is really true. A money belt works best, in my view. The handbag thing works well, too. The goal is not to look like you're carrying a lot of cash, which is difficult in many places because they assume American's are all rich.
I realize we adopted 4 years ago from Russia and things may have improved...but knowing what I know about Russia, it probably hasn't changed a lot. We adopted from far eastern Russia and there were no ATM machines to use...or at least that worked for us. The one day we tried to use one we didn't have luck until the 8th machine. To make a phone call to the states took hours of waiting to get the call to go through. Of course, if you are adopting from Moscow or St. Petersburg there may be more modern facilities to help you. We couldn't count on anything working for us so I was glad we had the cash on us. It was nerve-racking. We each had ones we wore around our necks under our shirts. We split the cash in case one of us got robbed and not the other. We even slept with them on. We had to have all new unmarked bills and at the time Russia people only liked the bills with the little heads, not the big heads. We felt like we were smuggling something into the country that was illegal...but I guess in the adoption world, you just do what you are told so you can get your child! Feel free to email me if you have more questions.
Do remember that you don't have to wear the cash all the time.
Yes, you will need to wear it on the airplanes. But once you get to your hotels, they will almost certainly have either in-room safes or safe deposit boxes at the cashier's desk. Use them!
At night, when you are in your room, put things like your passport, money, credit/ATM card, and expensive jewelry (if you unwisely decided to travel with it) into the in-room safe, if there is one. This will eliminate the possibility that a housekeeper might walk in and take something you left on your night table. Remember that, although the hotel screens the housekeeping staff, it does not pay them very well. Seeing an expensive watch or ring, or a money clip full of bills could prove too great a temptation for a person who has a sick child or some other great need.
If there is no in-room safe, use the safe deposit boxes at the cashier's desk. They usually have an excellent system, where you must show ID and sign so that your signature can be compared against one you provided when you first requested a box. But do not put your passport in the safe deposit box. Keep the passport with you at all times, in case there is any sort of incident where police may be involved. Put it under your pillow, if necessary, when you sleep; just don't forget it in the morning.
Do remember that U.S. passports are stolen, altered, and sold for thousands of dollars in some countries, so that they can be used for illegal immigration. While a passport can be replaced if it is stolen or lost, you don't need the hassle.
When you leave your hotel room, take ONLY the cash you will need for the day, plus your passport and, if necessary, your credit card, ATM card, or travelers' checks.
Then, use the normal precautions that you would take in going to any large U.S. city. Here are some examples:
1. Never let anyone see your hotel room number, if it is on your key, and don't say your room number out loud when other people are around. This invites trouble. Hotel security may not be able to prevent thieves from getting into your room, whether you are in or out.
2. Don't flash a wad of bills in a store; arrange your money before you go out, so that it is easy to extract just what you need.
3. Do not dress expensively or wear expensive jewelry, if at all possible. These things can act like a big target painted on your backside. A Timex will tell you the time as well as a Rolex, and a plain gold band will indicate your marital status as well as expensive diamond engagement and wedding rings. Try to "blend in" as much as possible, by adhering to local dress customs -- for example, avoiding shorts, wearing muted colors, etc.
4. Remember that most big cities around the world have pickpockets -- some of them exceedingly good. When in a crowd, stay alert, and remember that pickpockets often work in pairs. If someone jostles you on one side, consider the possibility that he has an accomplice on the other side, who will lift your wallet while you are distracted. If there is a minor disturbance, put your hand over your wallet BEFORE you look around.
5. Pickpockets go after the easy stuff. So if you are a male, don't put your wallet in your pants pocket or the outside pocket of your jacket, and if you are a female, don't carry a shoulder bag or put your money in your diaper bag. Be creative. At the very least, put your money in your inside jacket pocket. A fanny pack worn with the pouch in front isn't ideal, but if you keep a hand on it, it is better than a purse with straps that can be cut.
6. Don't go to very deserted areas, even if someone local tells you that you can find wonderful souvenirs there. It could be a setup for robbery. And if you jog, check with the hotel about safe jogging areas.
7. If you go out at night, try to go in a group of people. And stick to well-populated areas.
8. Even if you feel a need for a drink, because you've been going through a lot of hassles, be very cautious about imbibing. Having a little too much can make you less alert to trouble. And you may not know the strength of the local booze. In China, for example, the term "wine" is for certain beverages that have the "proof" of hard liquor. Drinking a wine glass full could make you falling down drunk, not just a little imprudent.
9. Never deal with individuals who claim to be able to get you a good exchange rate for your money. Aside from the fact that you are likely to get swindled, transactions of this sort are illegal and could land you in a Russian jail. Exchange money only at banks, your hotel's cashier desk, airport currency exchanges, etc.
In addition to handling cash prudently, check on alternatives to cash before traveling. As an example, travelers' checks are welcome in many countries. Your agency should be able to tell you whether families have successfully used travelers' checks where you are going, and if there are certain brands that are viewed more favorably and easier to replace if lost or stolen, such as American Express.
In some cases, your agency can arrange to wire money to your facilitator, so you don't have to carry cash for him/her. Just be very sure that you get proof that the money was sent and what it was to be used for, so the facilitator doesn't try to double bill you. This HAS happened in Russia.
Contact your agency immediately if you think that your facilitator is demanding more money that he/she should, or making threats like stopping your adoption if you don't pay extra.
Sharon
Get one of those belly belts.. It fits under your clothes.. Divide the money between you and your husband.
Advertisements
Most Americans are rich. If you have a roof over your head, any form of transportation and running water, you are in the top 15% of the wealthiest in the world!
We each had two money belts and I've seen thigh belts now. We had one with our daily money and then the adoption money. That way if we were robbed we could give them the daily money belt and hope they didn't go looking for another one. We never had any issues ourselves but we are careful travelers. We slept with ours on, especially on the train.
Cash is the ideal way to have your money in some countries as little else is accepted but be VERY careful regarding your security. It is wise to spread what you have between your bags, money belt and pouches. This way if you are the victim of theft you will hopefully not lose the lot.
It is probably best to carry US Dollars over any other currency as these are the most widely accepted. However, in Europe, Euros will be your cash of choice.
Smaller denominations are also best as you are more likely to be able to get change from a $10 bill than a $50. They are also safer in case you lose them.
With every Russian agency, do you have to carry that much cash with you? Is there a way to wire it? That is scaring me out a bit. It is good to hear that it is somewhat common but I want to avoid carrying that much with me if at all possible. Any suggestions or names of agencies that wire money to foreign countries. Thanks.
Advertisements
The issue is not one of agencies wiring or not wiring money. The issue is that some of the orphanages and regions of the foreign country may not permit this approach to paying adoption expenses. They may fear that they will be swindled, have to pay hefty rates to receive the money, etc.
It may seem strange in this day of "Don't leave home without it," but many countries still do not use credit cards, checks, travelers' checks, ATMs, wire transfers, etc. very actively. Cash in the local currency or, at times, American dollars (widely viewed as stable), is the only way to pay bills outside big tourist enterprises like some of the American or Western European big chain hotels.
Most agencies would be delighted to wire the money, though some might have the same sorts of fears as the foreigners -- e.g., that the recipients could claim they never received the funds.
All in all, cash is usually the preferred way to pay legitimate adoption expenses in some countries. And it really isn't too big a deal to carry it. The one thing that your agency should ensure is that you get receipts for each transaction. Agencies should train their foreign staff/facilitators to inisist that clients receive detailed written receipts for EVERY expenditure involved in your adoption, from orphanage contributions to court fees to guide/translator payments. New changes in IRS rules are making it necessary for families to provide receipts for expenses whenever they claim the adoption tax credit, and not just to save them in case they get audited.
Sharon
I suppose it is not good to carry huge amount of cash with you. Any ways in the happiness of adaptation you must be precautions while carrying cash. They are many plastic money options rather than carrying cash as a whole.
[url=http://en.worldcheckin.com/]The cheapest domestic flights[/url]
[url=http://en.worldcheckin.com/]review cheaphotels[/url]