Advertisements
Advertisements
Our niece receives her First Communion next Saturday as well! From our 2 sons, I bought her a nice "My First Communion" frame and we are getting her a Savings Bond.
Advertisements
Hi Red,
What about a children's bible, new rosary, or maybe a gift certificate to one of his favorite places to eat.
I got my niece a trinket box, engraved, for her First Communion. Of course, that doesn't really help those of you with boys. I'd do a rosary/prayer book thing in that case.
Prayer book, or one of those nice First Communion commemorative wall hangings (we got metal ones, and ceramic crosses w/ children kneeling on them). I got a Precious Moments Bible for mine. A necklace with medal or crucifix, if you think he'd wear one.
For my son's baptism, his godparents gave him a cute children's bedtime devotional activity book. That might also be nice for this age.
I got my cousins each a cross or prayer book, then a cute communion stuffed teddy bear (like a Beanie Baby).
Advertisements
Cooper's Godfather (my brother) gave Cooper a "Blessings Bowl"...not sure where he got it but it was the COOLEST gift from the baptism...you can google it for the site, he got it at a store.
Basically it's a silver bowl that comes with squares of paper, ribbon to tie, and a silver pen. I think it's meant for you to write blessings as the gift giver, but we thought our idea was better ;)
Each person in my family that was there wrote a "thought, blessing, or prayer" on the piece of paper, roll it up, and tie it. I'm thinking that I will let him read them when he graduates...or on his first communion, or a special day like that. I haven't read any of them and nobody wanted anyone to know what they wrote. It is so cool and I'm so glad that he gave us this...I just wish I remembered it when everyone was at the party so I could have gotten a prayer from everyone.
It takes a lot for me not to unroll them all and read them first. LOL
I just gave my godson a St Christopher medal this past weekend for his 1st Communion.... He loved it and has not taken it off since.... Mind you I also gave him a BIG water pistol.... After all, he has gotta have fun too!!
Mega
Nat's post reminded me of another gift my babe got for his baptism, but perhaps it would be good for an older child. Are you familiar with the special day plates? (We had a red plate growing up,a nd whoever had a special day - be it birthday, good grades, achievement, whatever) got to use it at dinner.
Well, this is a hand painted stoneware plate with the prayer painted around the edge, "Bless Us O Lord, and These Thy Gifts....".
NEAT idea!
Wow, thanks for all these ideas!
I wish I'd remembered sooner that I haven't seen a Catholic store nearby anywhere, I should have shopped online. I did get something at a Christian bookstore last night, but cannot find a card.
Tomorrow is the first communion, but K and I are both sick, so very unfortunately cannot go.
Thanks again for all the great ideas--I will jot these down for the future!
Advertisements
as Denice said, a prayer book seems to be a great idea.
recently we got an invitation for a communion party from our neighbour, and as we wanted to take something unique, we googled and landed on [url=http://www.justcommuniondresses.com/gifts.html]justcommuniondresses.com/gifts[/url], and picked a veil.
also, I can think of a rosary, necklace