Advertisements
Advertisements
Just wondering if anyone has recently adopted an infant. I can't have children and we are thinking about adopting. Just wanting someones info on how things went, how prices are.
The thing I don't understand is why a bi-racial baby is 11,500 and a white baby is 25,000? it's not a puppy mill ! It's a baby! They all need love and a home so why is the price so insane? who puts prices on children like this?
We are looking at adopting an infant through a non-profit organization. The cost is pretty close to what it would be if you had a bio child. You don't pay the agency crazy fees and once the mother signs her rights away after the 12 hour period it is final other than going to court w/in the next 30 days to finalize it in the courts. We have also looked at adopting through the foster care system and have been doing foster care for 3 years. We actually planned on adopting a 4 year old boy, but it didn't work out. The only thing w/ the system is that you will not get an infant that is ready to be adopted.
Advertisements
12 hours? I didn't know there was a state that only had a 12 hour waiting period. Wow, I'm shocked! And finalize in only 30 days?
Please make sure you're VERY clear on Kansas law - your statement is incorrect.
The law reads:
A consent or relinquishment may not be given by the mother or accepted until 12 hours after the birth of a child. Any consent or relinquishment given by the mother before 12 hours after the birth of a child is voidable, prior to the final decree of adoption.
Consent shall be in writing and shall be acknowledged before a judge of a court of record or before an officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments. If consent is acknowledged before a judge of a court of record, it shall be the duty of the court to advise the consenting person of the consequences of the consent.
Considering a woman usually isn't discharged until 24+ hours after birth - signing in front of a judge is unlikely at the 12 hour mark.
Additionally, the 12 hours is the minimum - a woman can take as long as she needs to sign the documents to terminate her parental rights...
I understand the 12 hour rule and I meant that they couldn't sign anything until after 12 hours. I realize they can take as much time as they want. As a foster parent it is a long wait for parents rights to be terminated in cases that it should be done (I have worked w/ many parents that deserved to be given back their children) so I was amazed that the wait was only 12 hours and I also know that papers can be signed by the parents while in the hospital, but it isn't truly finalized till it goes to court, but once they sign the papers they can't change their mind.
I agree with you completely. It makes me angry too. This is human trafficking.
In fact, at an adoption event in Topeka, I met one of our senators from KS and submitted a petition that prices should be regulated. He agreed and his staff asked me to submit the required language to insert into a bill. If you have any suggestions, feel free to email me.
Anil
goodnewsforyou [AT] Yahoo
Ellissa_Kyle
Just wondering if anyone has recently adopted an infant. I can't have children and we are thinking about adopting. Just wanting someones info on how things went, how prices are.
The thing I don't understand is why a bi-racial baby is 11,500 and a white baby is 25,000? it's not a puppy mill ! It's a baby! They all need love and a home so why is the price so insane? who puts prices on children like this?
Advertisements