Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I are thinking about adopting, but don't know where to start. We live in rural sask. and are interested in adopting from Canada or the U.S. Can anybody help us out? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
farmgirl2007
My husband and I are thinking about adopting, but don't know where to start. We live in rural sask. and are interested in adopting from Canada or the U.S. Can anybody help us out? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and Welcome to the forums!!! I am in AB and I know the process is very different in SK as we checked out the possibility when we were considering a move to Saskatoon. I know that SK no longer has any avenues of private adoptions as all the private agencies are no longer open.
Here is a link to the [URL="http://www.dcre.gov.sk.ca/services/famyouth/Adoption/index.html"]government site [/URL]to get you started ... you'll have to contact your local [URL="http://www.dcre.gov.sk.ca/regional/offices.html"]community resources office [/URL]to begin the process for adopting from SK. I do know that for the most part, you would be limited to your home province for a domestic placement as the laws are different in every province that makes interprovincial placements a very difficult thing (although I do know that our agency has had some success with working with SK and BC, and we were considered for two very unique situations in Ontario during our waits for our kiddos).
Here is some info on [URL="http://www.dcre.gov.sk.ca/services/famyouth/Adoption/ado1.pdf"]international adoption[/URL]. It sounds like you starting point for this is a community resources office as well. Hope that helps get you started.
Advertisements
We are in the same boat!
I have contacted the Adoption Support Centre (adoptions ask.org) as well as Social Services. I'm also lucky enough that a coworker who adopted through SS gave my info to her caseworker. If you know anyone who had been involved with foster care, they can be a great resource too.
SK seems to be the least pro-adoption province in some ways (limited info online) :-/
Please let me know how your journey goes!! In some ways I feel very alone in this, since its hard to find out Sask specific info as easily as if we were in Alberta, Ontario or the US.
We are in the same boat!
I have contacted the Adoption Support Centre (adoptions ask.org) as well as Social Services. I'm also lucky enough that a coworker who adopted through SS gave my info to her caseworker. If you know anyone who had been involved with foster care, they can be a great resource too.
SK seems to be the least pro-adoption province in some ways (limited info online) :-/
Please let me know how your journey goes!! In some ways I feel very alone in this, since its hard to find out Sask specific info as easily as if we were in Alberta, Ontario or the US.
ETA; just realized thus is over 4 years old. Even more discouraging.
We are in the same boat!