Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi!
I'm new here and just need some answers to a few quick questions. My DH and I are thinking about adopting from the U.S. Is this terribly expensive? We live in Sask. and are not sure where to begin. What might be the average wait time? Is it longer than in Canada? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements
Gosh, I talked to a fantastic lady from Estevan when we started looking into international adoption from the U.S. ..
If you look on the canadian adoption website, i believe i found her number on a list of "supports"
I'll poke around later - if i find it, I'll pm you with the info.
I'm curious about this myself, since I'm in SK, and was recently told by the Saskatchewan foster support system that we should "consider private adoption as the goal of foster care is not to put children in adoptive homes"....
It seems like Saskatchewan is private adoption, or foster care, not too many cases of people actually adopting *from* foster care though, and other provinces (so far) seem reluctant to even consider placing their waiting kids in SK.
Nevermind how many statistics you see about X number of children waiting for homes all the time....
I'm a few years late to this party, but is anyone still looking for help? We are going through an adoption from U.S. foster care and live in Alberta.
Any info would be greatly appreciated! We're on a wait list to start our adoption in Sask and I'm interested in seeing how much it would cost to adopt internationally and what wait times are like.
Thanks!
Advertisements
You could only Adopt Privately.
Privately, there are more Adoptive Families . Than there are Babies and Children...
You would probably have the same amount of wait as in Canada with time!!!
farmgirl2007, and Stephanie R...
We are currently in the process of adopting a child from Michigan; and it's moving slooooowly. We chose Michigan for our own reasons; but I know people that have successfully adopted children from other states who have their babies home with them already.
If you are looking for an infant, private adoption is your best bet. Do your research; I know that waitlists can be long for perfectly healthy caucasian babies; but if you're willing to look at babies that don't fall into that category, you could have a placement much sooner. DO YOUR RESEARCH. We know first hand that babies with *some* drug exposure who are placed in loving, caring and stable homes can rebound and life can be completely normal. Private adoption from the US can run anywhere from $10,000 and up; our first time cost us over $20,000.
If you are looking for a child; a toddler or older, foster care is a good option. A lot of these children are waiting, and if you go with a reputable agency in the US, a lot of them are wonderfully amazing children. There will be an adjustment period and knowing how to attach to a child is SO important, but worth the time if love is the answer. This option is cheaper; cost is usually less than $5,000... flights would be excluded from this, because sometimes you have to visit the child a few times before you can bring them home. The state pays for most of the paperwork to be handled because the child is a ward of the state.
Some states have worked with outgoing international cases before; I recommend these states if you're planning on adopting. The paperwork sucks and when a state has no precident to start from, it can really take a long, long time to get anything done.
Start with finding a local, Hague Accredited agency for INCOMING adoptions. You can still adopt domestically, but the option is there that way to look at the USA for a child if you can't find a match here. Best of luck!