Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm currently researching the internet for info on treatment of clubfoot and was wondering if anyone has experience (personally or through family/ acquaintenances) with treatment options/success... especially when both feet are affected.
Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide.
(p.s. - I've also requested info from our family dr.)
Let me email my friend and see if she is still a member of this group. Their bio daughter was born with a club foot and has been treated by Shriner's hospital. The way the child runs around, you would never have any idea that she was born with a club foot.
Advertisements
Sorry no direct experience to offer, but we met someone at the White Swan who was adopting a little girl with one club foot. By the way she was running up and down the hallway you would have never known. The mom said that she had improved greatly since gotcha day. I guess with two it would be that much more difficult, but if the mom didn't tell me the little girl was SN I would have never known.
I have a daughter who was born with a left clubbed foot. The best thing you could do would be to find a pediatric orthopedic doctor in your area. We did not have a pediatric orthopedic in our area and we ended up at Shriner's. They did an excellent job on her. Be prepared for lots of casts and at least one surgury. My daughter was 9 months old when she started treatment with Shriner's and was walking fine at 14 months. Hardest part of the whole thing was her wearing the shoes with the bar in between at night. She had to wear them for two years at night. Needless to say...not fun for anyone involved. We've always said if we adopt again, we'd like to find a child with a clubfoot. Very easy to repair. Especially if you can get on with Shriner's. That's their specialty and it's completely paid for. It's been a very big blessing for our family.
Hope that helps...PM me if you have anymore questions. We are definitely a success story.
My cousin was born with club foot. He had a handful of surgeries- but he is now 20 and is the only college athlete I know. I am not sure whether club foot is more difficult to surgically correct as the child gets older, as his surgeries were done when he was quite young. Obviously, physically he is no longer affected by it, other than one of his feet is 2 sizes larger than the other.
My son who was born in nov. had both clubfeet. They refered him to shriner's in lexington, ky. At 6 weeks they did full leg casts on both legs that were changed out every week for abour 3 months. One foot corrected really well with only casts the other one required the 15 min surgery to cut the achilles tendon and then recast it for 2 weeks. He then wore the braces which are just crib shoes with a bar in-inbetween them for 2 and half months. He only has to wear it at night now. He is behind in sitting up and trying to crawl. He was extremely sensintive when they took his casts of cause he hadnt had contact on his skin. The whole experience in a whole was really not that bad. If you need any more info you can PM me. Hope that helped.
Advertisements
There are a couple yahoo groups for waiting children from China and I'm pretty sure I've seen people post about clubfeet there so you may be able to get some good info. I think I know which cutie you're looking at. Good luck.
Paula
Thanx, everyone, for the input.:) I do feel hopeful.
I've heard back from our doctor, too. He thinks that even at 18-24 months old (before treatment begins) the PT and splints should work well to straighten her feet. She may still need surgery, but at least she will be able to walk. :wings: :woohoo:
DH and I will be discussing tonight the possibility of requesting her referral.
Lee
I may be jumping in a little bit late on this, but just wanted to give you my $0.02.
My girlfriend's baby was recently born with one clubfoot. The tried casting both legs and it did not work. Next, they tried surgery since it was a fairly severe case. He has had one surgery do far. At night, he has to wear special shoes with a bar between his legs. It is a hassle for them. The baby cries and fusses when it's time to put on his shoes and that makes it harder to settle him down for bed. She also feels the baby doesn't sleep as well at night because of the bar. He can't roll over or move freely. She thinks he just can't get comfortable. (Imagine what you would feel if you had to sleep flat on your back all night with a hip length bar holding your legs apart) He has to do this until he is 3. The doctor feels his long term prognosis is good.
Bottom line- There will be some hassles to deal with. But I believe the long term prognosis is good in kiddos with a club foot.
Hi all!
FYI... yesterday we requested a match with this little cutie :female: (she turned 11 mos. old yesterday, too). :paci:
Unfortunately for us (but fortunately for the baby) there are so many families in my agency that requested a match with her (and who have been waiting much longer that us) that we probably won't get matched. :( DH and I are a little glum that we won't be the ones to welcome her into our family, but we are so happy that she is soon to start the next chapter of her life with a loving mommy and daddy.:clap:
This process has been a good experience for us, though... we learned alot about a physical condition that we basically knew nothing about... and we found out our capacity to love someone we've never met is not as limited as we first might have thought.:o
Advertisements
Lee, I have a feeling that many families have requested a match with her. To be honest, DH and I have requested a match as well. I also feel as though we don't really have a chance either and we were logged in quite a while before you guys. I keep on telling myself not to get my hopes up and am thinking about when the next list comes up. I'm feeling as though in six months or so when the next list comes out we will be much closer to the top and more likely to be chosen. I'm right there with you when you say you are happy for her, but sad for yourself. Our times will come, but the wait is just so darn hard. It will be hard, however, to see that sweet little face moved over to the recently matched children.
Take care, Marjorie
Wow, that's amazing that you both are requesting a match . . . please let us know what happens. Our daughter was NSN and was diagnosed with a mild club foot, but i guess because we put that we were open to a child with a "correctible special need" she was referred to us anyway (as nsn). When we got her there was no sign of club feet. As a result, we are starting another adoption - special need - and are very open to club feet.
-Amy
Well, we received the call from our agency that we were not the family chosen for this little girl... DH and I are pretty pragmatic people, so we're fine. The GREAT thing is that she's so soon to be with her new family!:prop:
There were 7 children on this most recent list and all but 2 have been matched. The 2 remaining are older boys (@ 7 yrs old) and our agency said it usually takes alittle longer to place the older ones but they are very confident that they will match them in the near future.:loveyou:
So... we wait for the next group of children to be available... the agency said they get groups about every 6-9mos. (certainly a shorter wait than 3 years!):rolleyes: :coffee:
As I already told Lee, we also were not chosen. I believe that there were MANY families interested in adopting that little cutie. I'm certainly hoping that the next list comes out sooner than 6-9 months. The last one came out last November. There is a seven year old boy and a two and a half year old girl still left on the list. I hope that they are both matched quickly and we can then wait for the next list!!
Advertisements
We are Russian adoptive parents X2, but my husband is a Shriner and would be happy to sponsor your child for treatment. (Our No. 1 son had 3 surgeries on his hand.) It is completely without cost regardless of insurance until your child reaches adulthood - except for YOUR meals at the hospital. The patient eats free of course. And that offer is good for anyone whose child needs treatment at Shriners. Good luck and God blss.
A newborn baby's club foot is first treated with applying a cast because the tendons, ligaments, and bones are quite flexible and easy to reposition. The procedure involves stretching the foot into a more normal position and using a cast to maintain the corrected position. The cast is removed every week or two, so as to stretch the foot gradually into a correct position. Serial casting goes on for approximately three months.