Advertisements
Advertisements
For those with GT kids, what were some of the first signs of being gifted?
Also, did you have your child tested in public schools or take them elsewhere?
How are you defining gited? Our oldest is in the Highly Capable program at school. He is going into 6th grade and his math tests are at 10th grade level, while his reading is off the charts.
Anyway, I knew he was gifed early on. He was speaking in complete sentences before he was three years old. He wasn't really an early reader, but his comprehesion was well above normal. The summer before he started kindergarten I read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series to him, all seven books. Not only did he understand them then, he can still, 6 years later, tell you what all the books are about.
He was tested for the Highly Capable proagram first in 2nd grade, and just missed it. But after we moved he was tested again, and has qualified ever since.
Having a child that is gifted does not mean you will have a straight A student. Sometimes, since the work is so easy it is a bit dull, so then he just doesn't do it... He actually got a B+ in reading at the end of the school year!
Advertisements
My son is going into 1st graded. I just wondered signs because he has always amazed us and he was bored with school last year. He could understand time, and tell time, before age 2. He has an amazing grasp of numbers. He was an early reader. I can't tell you what grade level he reads at as they didn't do any testing in K.
My main concern is him being too bored. What kinds of things can I do to help keep school from being boring for him? He is 5 yrs old and has a grasp on fractions and he has been multiplying for 2 years now.
He understood months, dates, days of the week way before age 3. When he was 2 he would name every month and at least one thing that happened in it.
He memorizes Bible verses for fun, and knows more of them than I do.
I just wondered if you or anyone else has any ideas on how to keep him challenged, w/o being discouraged. That is one thing I noticed. So many things are so easy for him that if something isn't, he wants to give up.
I would schedule a conference with his teacher as soon as possible. discuss ways that she can adjust the regular curiculum to make it more intresting for him. If he is way above grade level they may consider bumping him up a grade. When my son was in 2nd grade there was a little girl that was bumped from 1st to 2nd grade. Even then she was always at the top of the class.