Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone else had this experience? I keep getting the runaround in the courts. My mom wanted my older brother and I adopted by my step-father 4 days before my wedding and I did it out of obedience not knowing how it would effect me. I still had a relationship with my birth father but he signed the papers because he didn't want to cause problems with my mom. I didn't know my birth certificate would be changed and my birth father erased from my life. I've been married 17 years and it's always bothered me so this year I decided to see what it would take to fix it, I want my maiden name to be my birth name, that's how everyone knew me. They never knew me by my step-dads family. I never even called him dad. Well I'm finding it hard to do. I can't rescind the adoption here in WA state and a lawyer I talked to didn't think there was any case laws. I don't want a legal name change, I want my birth father to be my legal father again. Does he need to adopt me? Anyone have experience in this?? I'm applying for passports for our family so that's why I decided to figure it out now.
As odd as it is, yes, I believe that your biological father would have to adopt you in order to have an amended birth certificate with his name on it.
Advertisements
My guess is that him adopting you will be the easiest & most direct path to what you're trying to accomplish.
You can go to the court and have your name legally changed, but that won't take your step-father off your birth certificate. As far as I know, having your bio father re-adopt you is your only option.
I had my name changed back to my birth name during my divorce, but it doesn't change the birth certificate. It's easier to change your name than the birth certificate.
You would have to have your bio father adopt you to change the birth certificate.
I dont know if you know this but washington state just pass a thing that july first you can get your OBC now.
Advertisements