Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a very interesting update. I recieved another email from the story that was posted in the Dunoon-Observer. A lady in Scotland who discribed herself and a amateur geneologist did some research on my behalf. She located my older bio-sister and brother, as well as a younger 1/2 sister I never knew I had, plus my bio-mom's address in Scotland.. And as of at least Feb of this year... they're all still alive. On top of that she was able to give me a ton of info on my bio-dad, his home address from 1966, as well as his job discription, my bio-grandparents names, locations, job titles, etc. I was able to use this to locate my bio-dad in Kentucky. Technology is a wonderful thing... I googlemapped his address and found a "Streetview" of his house.
I wrote a 2 page letter to him and mailed it 2 days ago. I'll let you all know what happens.
Advertisements
I have a very interesting update. I recieved another email from the story that was posted in the Dunoon-Observer. A lady in Scotland who discribed herself and a amateur geneologist did some research on my behalf. She located my older bio-sister and brother, as well as a younger 1/2 sister I never knew I had, plus my bio-mom's address in Scotland.. And as of at least Feb of this year... they're all still alive. On top of that she was able to give me a ton of info on my bio-dad, his home address from 1966, as well as his job discription, my bio-grandparents names, locations, job titles, etc. I was able to use this to locate my bio-dad in Kentucky. Technology is a wonderful thing... I googlemapped his address and found a "Streetview" of his house.
I wrote a 2 page letter to him and mailed it 2 days ago. I'll let you all know what happens.
Hey guys... ExMarine here again... I wanted to give you all a update. I had written a letter to my bio-mother a year ago and never heard back. So a few weeks ago, I wrote a letter to each of my 2 bio-sisters. And a few days ago, one of them sent me a txt msg on my phone. Seems they got the letters on the same day, called eachother and then went to confront bio-mom. She fessed up to everything. I had bought tickets to Scotland before I sent those letters, so even if I didn't get a response, I was going to tour the country for 10 days. Well, it seems the 2 sisters never knew about me. And now everyone in the family... uncles, aunts, cousins, nieces/nephews, etc all all excited to meet their long lost American family member. I can't say that I'm not nervous about this, but I am very excited. MY SEARCH IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing left now except to get on that plane in 13 days and fly back to Scotland.
I want to extend a special thanks to whoever it was that suggested I write the editor of the Dunoon-Observer, that email spawned a flood of responses that ultimately led to me finding my biological family.
Wow... looks like this thread has died. Nothing since I posted my note about contacting my family. Well... I made it to Scotland.. after 14 hours on a plane. Met both of my sisters first thing. They wanted to check me out first to make sure I wasn't some huge jerk before letting me meet my mother. I passed their test. I met my mother, both my sisters, my older brother, and a few neices and nephews, and my aunt. There was a whole lot of crying going on... mostly me. After 2 days, my older sister told me it's time to check out of the hotel I had and that I was going to be staying with them for the rest of the time I was in Scotland. My sisters husband drove me all over the country and I got a bunch of siteseeing done. I found my family tends to have long lives, and other than type 1 diabetes (I'm safe there)... everyone is pretty healthy. And I look just like my mother (That poor lady)... and the best part, they can't wait for me to come back.
Once again... I want to thank all of you for your suggestions, tips, etc that ultimately helped me find my bio-family.
Tim
1 Liked
 likes this.
ExMarine here again. One last and final update, because I think this thread is now dead. I've been back to Scotland 3 times. Everyone in my Scottish family have been nothing but awesome. My bio-mother gave me the name of the guy she thought was my bio-father. I had absolutely no luck finding him by his name. So I went the 23AndMe route. Spit in the tube and mailed it off. Three weeks later I got a message from a lady who told me that I was her cousin. After a little ground work, she figured out that her Uncle was probally my bio-father. She paid for his 23AndMe kit and sent it off. Sure a shit... I got a message from the website telling me that 1/2 my DNA came from him. So with that I have finally found all of my biological parents and extended families. Last October I flew from Portland, OR to W. Virginia and spent about 4 days with my Bio-dad. Met another large group of cousins, nieces and nephews.
All of this said. I once again would like to extend a heart-felt thank you... a massive one to everyone who has given me tips/tricks/motivation/encouragement to finally track all of these people down. You are the best.
Advertisements