Advertisements
Advertisements
Sydney has the Graco Bumper Jumper too and she loves it. She fell asleep in it the other night! :)
Advertisements
DD didn't like the one that hung from the door frame but LOVED the jumperoo. I think the one that hung from the door moved around in too many directions for her and she didn't feel safe. She liked the jumperoo because she could just bounce up and down. It also had music and buttons she could push!
I bought A the jumperoo. He really likes how it lights up and the music, but he is too small for it. Even on the lowest setting his little feet don't touch the ground yet!! Oh well he will grow into it!!! Thanks!!
I think if you child doesn't sit in it constantly, it's fine! People get upset about exersaucers too, saying it makes babies bow-legged. It doesn't if they aren't it 12 hours a day! We don't have any kiddos yet, but I did buy the over the door moulding kind...but we are doing all the rehab on our home ourselves. We'll know if it's a secure doorway or not!
court5505
DD didn't like the one that hung from the door frame but LOVED the jumperoo. I think the one that hung from the door moved around in too many directions for her and she didn't feel safe. She liked the jumperoo because she could just bounce up and down. It also had music and buttons she could push!
Same here-- I have both, but DS only likes the jumperoo. I keep trying the doorway one, though, because it's WAY more portable.
Shy Bear, when I first got the jumperoo, I had to put books underneath so that DS's feet had something to touch. Once he started bouncing that way, it stretched out some, and I was able to move the books pretty quickly.
Char
Advertisements
I am a child care provider and have had quite a bit of experience with babies who have Jolly Jumpers and Jumperoos. I can always tell when a baby has one without the parents even telling me. We don't use them in our home.
The downside to them is that the babies learn immediately that with little effort they can get a huge response. In other words... the effort put into them bouncing is not even close to the response they get in the bounce. Repeated messages of little effort big response can lead to some problems when they don't have access to the jumper.
What we see here is babies who are in jumpers kick there legs (usually both legs at the same time) when you are doing normal life stuff like changing them, feeding them, holding them, stroller rides etc. They can be pretty unhappy when you are trying to do necessary things and their kicking isn't resulting in anything but a thud on the floor. If the child is in a jumper for long periods of time daily they have a hard time adjusting to situations where they kick and don't get any response much less a big response.
I had one baby join our care at six months. She spent the majority of her home time in a jumper because she "just loved it". She spent the first two weeks laying on her back and kicking repeatedly (both legs) against the floor, the crib mattress, and while sitting in an exersaucer she would SLAM her body down increasingly hard when the little foot taps didn't bounce her back.
She was VERY fussy. She was extremely difficult to change her diaper because of the CONSTANT kicking motions. A week into caring for her I tried to count how many kicks per minute she was doing and she kicked SO fast (both legs simultaneously) that I litterally couldn't count the kicks.
Fortunately she was a large baby and outgrew the weight of the jumper at about eight months. I talked to the parents a lot about her having a decent amount of floor time instead of Jolly time but they wouldn't consider it because she was not happy on the floor. It took about a month to get her used to normal gravity here wherein the effort she put out with her body movements resulted in equal response. If she kicked the floor her feet felt the impact of the hit and they did not bounce back. After repeated kicking her legs would tire and she would slow down. If she bounced in the exersaucer she landed her bottom in the seat but did not bounce back. When she kicked the air while being fed her feet just came back to rest on the foot tray of the high chair. In other words... she adjusted to the "response" being exactly what she put out.
I see where some of you Mom's are stateing that the child kicks when not in the Jolly. IMO, this is their attempt to get the BIG response. They will try it over and over again.
I haven't seen babies who are in Jolly's as their primary source of entertainment walk or crawl early. In fact, most of them have been a bit behind their non Jolly counterparts. I have seen a trend of fussiness during play time as they aren't very content having a large floor area filled with toys where they can scoot, roll, and crawl for any substantial time period. They grow weary of it pretty quickly. Once they outgrow the weight of the Jolly they seem to start to catch up and the fussiness definitely decreases.
I have seen similar patterns with babies who are in swings and bouncing exersaucers for a large part of their waking hours. It's pretty much the same result... where they want motion they didn't create to keep them occupied and happy. When they are left to deal with plain old gravity it just isn't as stimulating.
So just a word of caution with the jumpers (which offer the highest response to the least amount of effort). Make sure they have a good amount of time and experience with real gravity. Jolly jumpers can be GREAT as an activity for short periods here and there but can become sort of addictive to the baby brain if used as their primary source of entertainment. If they are in care during the day and the provider doesn't use them it can be a rough transition often without the provider even realizing that the fussiness is because the baby is really wanting large response motion that they get at home. Definitely tell your provider what equipment you use and an average of how much time the child spends in it a day. This can help the provider figure out what will work at home and give them insight to when the child should adjust to what they use in their home.
Nan
My DD loved her jumper!!! We had a doorframe one and did no longer have any issues at all. However, once she started out crawling she wanted not anything to do with being contained anymore here ...That changed into the end of the jumper and the exersaucer!
Last update on March 27, 12:15 pm by laig iosi.