Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a 30 year-old woman suffering from diabetes last month I gave birth to a healthy child. Following my doctor's advice, he is being breast-fed despite my diabetic diet but for the last few days, I am feeling very weak. Sometimes I even have vertigo. Is it because of my diabetes? Or breast feeding?
Are you checking your blood sugar to make sure you're not dropping too low? When mine goes low, I get weak and dizzy - just like you describe. You may need to add extras to your diet in order to maintain a normal blood sugar while you're breastfeeding.
Advertisements
also may want to be checked for an inner ear infection. Most people don't even realize they have one. There is no pain, just intense weakness and vertigo.
Your vertigo has nothing to do with breastfeeding. It might be due to uncontrolled diabetes, or hypertension, or some other illness. As you are breastfeeding you should be treated only with insulin. However, you must not take any oral antidiabetic drugs, because the drugs get secreted through breast milk, and thus enter the baby's body. You should follow a [url=http://www.free-diabetic-supplies.net]diet enriched with adequate protein and calorie,[/url] so that you can nurse your child properly. Good luck!
Congratulations on your new baby! :)
I'm a Type 1 diabetic and I nursed my oldest child for 18 months. I don't recall feeling dizzy, except when my blood sugars were low or too high. (I re-read your post and just realized I've been a diabetic for more years than you've been alive! :eek: )
Have you let your dietician know that you are breastfeeding? You diet needs may change as your hormone levels change, as your baby grows, etc. Your baby may be eating more now and you may need to adjust your insulin (I'm assuming you are on insulin) and diet to accomodate him.
When you say 'diabetic diet' do you mean carb counting or ... what? Your diet has probably been different during your pregnancy, and should have been adjusted after pregnancy once you started breastfeeding, and will probably need continued tweaking to keep up with the demands on your body as you get back to normal activity levels, lose sleep, tote around a baby all day, have hormone changes, emotional stress, etc. Having a new baby throws off our whole physical and emotional routine! :) All of those things play into diet, insulin doses, and blood sugar considerations.
Do call your dietician after you contact your doctor. As a diabetic you may have health considerations that need to be considered when altering your diet. (As an example, I have kidney damage that precludes me from going on a high protein diet.)
My daughter was born when I was quite young.
I breast fed her for 3 months, but had to stop, because I started loosing too much weight. I couldn't keep up with the amount of food needed to produce adequate milk for her and keep up my strenth.
I would suggest that you check with your doctor or a dietician.
Good Luck!! Congratulations and best wishes to your new baby!
Advertisements