Advertisements
Advertisements
i can't find a specific place about sewing, so i'll post here and i'm sure someone will corret me if need be... =)
we are going to start our adoption paperwork next year, so we are no where CLOSE to having a little one, yet i find myself wanting to create all kinds of baby things. i started sewing this month because i want to be able to sew for my children. already we are growing a closet full of blankets, onsies, light jackets, etc.
am i going crazy? lol i'm making all this newborn stuff. will a closet full of stuff for a baby we don't have scare off the social worker during the home study? what will i do with all the clothes if we get a 6 month old? lol
if anyone in Los Angeles is going through a similar period, please contact me so we can go crazy together.... lol any/all opinions on my sanity will be appreciated greatly.
thanks!
Shay
Hi Shay :-)
I can relate and I live about 1 hour north of LA! I haven't been sewing so much as I have been tempted to shop. We are paper ready and just waiting to be matched. I'll PM you :-)
Lori
Advertisements
Sounds pretty normal to me. I remember doing the same thing before our first placements.
Doubtful it would scare off the case worker. After all, if you were not excited at the prospect of adding a child to your family, then what would he/she think of you?
If it ends up you don't need the clothes and other things, then I'm sure there's a local women's shelter or foster care facility or similar facility that would be more than happy to take them off your hands.
Don't forget to create some things that don't rely on being the correct size. I did things like Raggedy Ann dolls for our kids, a special quilt for thier double bed (our first two were 4 and 6 at arrival), curtains for their bedroom, stuffed toys, and things like that. It helped with the waiting and the nesting urges. Needlework that is time-consuming is another possibility, too. Everything can be completed except the name and dates and be ready for when the child comes home.
If you get a six month old, put all the newborn stuff on etsy :-)
I'm actually going to buy a sewing machine so I can learn. It's a great way to have unique baby things *and* save money!
I'm doing the same as you, but I'm saving all the clothing patterns until I know what age/sex/season clothes I'll need when! In the meantime I'm allowing myself to go nuts with quilts and toys. There are endless patterns for toys!
If you really need something to occupy your hands longer, try making a reverse applique quilt (more fun by hand) (check out [url]http://www.prqc.com/2faq.htm-[/url] the two fabric quilt kits and video are especially great)
or
Learn to knit or crochet and make amigurumi stuffed toys. Those are especially great on plane trips or in front of the TV. [url=http://freeamigurumipatterns.blogspot.com/]Free Amigurumi Patterns[/url]
I live in Nor Cal and my husband and I are waiting to be matched and Ive been baby crafting like crazy. Since we are planning to cloth diaper, IҒve been making diaper covers and flannel wipes plus washcloths. Plus Ive working on a baby quilt and matching rocking chair pillow, a crib skirt and matching curtain ties, pacifier leashes and pouches, a mobile, car seat covers and blankets. My husband says the crafting is keeping me sane while we wait. The social worker wonҒt think its odd at all.
Advertisements
i can't find a specific place about sewing, so i'll post here and i'm sure someone will corret me if need be... =)
we are going to start our adoption paperwork next year, so we are no where CLOSE to having a little one, yet i find myself wanting to create all kinds of baby things. i started sewing this month because i want to be able to sew for my children. already we are growing a closet full of blankets, onsies, light jackets, etc.
am i going crazy? lol i'm making all this newborn stuff. will a closet full of stuff for a baby we don't have scare off the social worker during the home study? what will i do with all the clothes if we get a 6 month old? lol
if anyone in Los Angeles is going through a similar period, please contact me so we can go crazy together.... lol any/all opinions on my sanity will be appreciated greatly.
thanks!
Shay
It is called the nesting instinct. It is a natural part of preparing for having a child. Might I suggest, taking the time to also photograph some of the special things you are making and maybe even record your thoughts while making them. Then even if you get a child that is larger than some of the cute little pieces you had expected to use, you could put a couple of them in a keepsake box of things you had made when preparing for his or her arrival. And I would recommend making a baby book. You can add some of the pieces you thought you might use at these stages, but note that the child had passed those stages already, adding any pictures you may get along the way from the earlier points in time. But Mom’s art and outfits, may sometimes be the only thing one has for some segments of a child’s life and this is a gift from you to your child showing how much you care and that even when he or she was not yet with you, you were carrying him or her in your heart, so there is no blank spot. I highly recommend making activity quilts, they are fun and practical. Also keep in mind unless you only want one child and do not plan to have others in the future, any clothes that don’t fit can be saved for future children shared with family or even given to a foster closet to help families who need clothes for their little bundles of joy. Also, making newborn stuff is great, but children are sneaky, when you turn your back or put them in bed at night, they up and grow! ߘ So, what I would recommend is getting multi sized patterns and making outfits from the premie, newborn, small (3-6 Mo.) medium (6-9 Mo.) and large (9-12 Mo.) If you have a designated nursery room already, consider a clear stacking bin for each size of clothing and place it in the closet, with the most likely size needed in the dresser or changing table. You may also find it fun to make diaper stacker and changing table and crib organizers. They are easy fun and practical. My mother sewed a ball with a bell inside it for my brother who absolutely loved it, and now his son does too! ʰߘ Remember, once the baby arrives, you will have less time for sewing, so making what you can now will keep you sane while waiting and keep you in good stead later when time is a limited commodity.
Hello,
It's so cute all the efforts you are making for the little baby. You have a big heart. God bless you.
Last update on April 29, 1:19 pm by Nina taylor.