Advertisements
Advertisements
hi! my wife and i returned from guatemala on our pick-up trip early morning saturday in chicago. we gave the immigration officer our sealed visa envelope and he then stamped our son's passport on the page adjacent to his visa. then he kept everything from the sealed packet. was that right? he said we will never see the contents again. the officer seemed confident, but it made me feel a bit unsure.
did immigration keep everything in the sealed packet when you returned?
thanks!
eric
Advertisements
Yes, immigration kept everything, but you can get most or are supposed to get it back if you file the form to get it back. Sorry, I don't have the form number off the top of my head, but it has been mentioned lots of times on the forum if you want to do a search. Everything that happened at immigration was standard except the officer should have been more forthcoming with the fact that you can get it back!
Yes. After the CoC comes and/or you do the name change CoC, use form G-884 to request the return of the documents. Congratulations!
Congrats on getting your little one HOME!!!
By all means fill out the G-884 form. I just got all those contents from the sealed packet back a week or two ago (it took about 90 days from when I submitted the request; I waited until our daughter's COC came to submit it.) There were lots of repeat papers we already had - but also some priceless pictures of our daughter's birth mother too. There is no fee to submit the G-884. Go for it!
Advertisements
Eric - congratulations on bringing your son home. Yes, the G-884 form is what you will need to fill out to get that envelope - or its contents - back to you. Too bad the immigration officer didn't know what they were talking about. Ah well - not to worry - once you get your CoC you can file the G-884. I received my CoC less than four weeks after we got home on a IR3 visa. I sent off my G-884 and received a letter a week later stating that it could take up to 90 days to get the documents back to me - I had them in about 40 days. Good luck!