Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
There is no cut-and-dried "best" age. I wish there were! You're certainly not the only person to ask this question.
Here are some of the pros of the older end of the age range you posted:
- a doctor could more likely tell if the child had facial features consistent with FAS/FAE
- you would be more likely to know if the child had a learning disability
- you would be more likely to know if there were any developmental delays, or not
- even if you have to hire a translator, you can speak with an older child, to understand what they are asking for or what they miss
And some of the pros to the younger end of the age range you posted:
- attachment should be easier with a child who is of an age to pick up, carry, and rock in public
- bonding often comes easier to the parent when the child needs more care, like feeding and diapering and bathing - for both parties, the trust often builds faster
- more time to get used to the child's temperment and figure a way to blend the child's with yours, before the child is old enough take advantage of differences and push buttons (like all children will)
Some of the cons of the older end of your age range:
- the child would almost automatically be "behind" in school by USA standards. Most orphans in other countries are not educated to the standards expected of 6 year olds in our culture.
- If there is an attachment problem, the older the child, the longer it will take to heal.
Some of the cons of the younger end of your age range:
- nobody can adequately explain to a non-verbal child that you are her new mommy. The change in caregivers comes as a complete shock to them.
So you can see that the "best" age depends on the mother's and the father's strengths.
Can you help a child who is behind in school catch up?
Are you comfortable "regressing" an older child so they can catch some missed attachment steps?
What is your comfort zone with "unknowns" when it comes to your child's medical history?
The best age for someone to adopt is the age they feel they can be the best parent to. And for each person, that age could be different.
I hope this was a helpful post for you, even though I didn't actually answer your question...