Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi I need to send a package to Guatemala are their any cheaper reputable companies than Fex ex?
thanks for your help
Advertisements
The cheapest way I know is finding people who travel to Guate and give it to them. They can drop it of at a hotel lobby or meet with the addressee. It always worked very well.
I just mailed out a package yesterday through the USPS. Our box wasn't too big, it weighed in at 2.2 lbs, and it only cost us $18.00 to send it to Guatemala City. My agency told us about using USPS because it was cheaper. If I had known it would be that much cheaper I would have sent a bigger box!
If I were to send something to the fosters (a large package) would they have to pay customs fees?
Advertisements
I sent a package through Fed Ex and it cost me 200.00. The package was about 10 pounds. Watch out for the duties and taxes that come a few weeks later-325.00!!! Yikes! We will never send a package that way again. Fed Ex never told us about this or that it would cost that much. Make sure you look into it before you send.
june23
I sent a package through Fed Ex and it cost me 200.00. The package was about 10 pounds. Watch out for the duties and taxes that come a few weeks later-325.00!!! Yikes! We will never send a package that way again. Fed Ex never told us about this or that it would cost that much. Make sure you look into it before you send.
Did you pay the taxes based on what the value of the items was or were there some fixed rate fees?
Thanks for the info.
Has anyone ever used Kings Express, Are you able to take care of all the fees up front with them? Thanks!!!
I havent sent a package overseas this past holiday season, but my memory agrees with what the other posters mentioned.
For some reason, it's reasonable to do DHL, FEDEX, etc, domestically, but once you start shipping internationally the prices go through the roof!
The best bet unfortunately is the United States Postal Service( I know slower receipt times.)
Good luck,
Amy K, NJ
Advertisements
Last year we sent a huge package USPS, BUT it DIDN'T ever arrive. It was lost when it hit customs. I've heard sending packages through the postal system is a roll of the dice. The prices were nice, but if it never gets there whats the point.
Now we use DHL. It is very expensive but your package WILL get there. Yes, there are duties. Just mark your package indicating that sender pays duties and they will bill you. Duties on our packages have been based on the value of the content.
DHL picked up a package from my house Tuesday around 2pm and it was in Guatemala the next day at noon (delivered the day after that).
If FedEx tries to deliver a package in Guatemala but no one is there, do they attempt a redelivery the next day like they would do here? Or do they leave a note for the person to go and pick up the package?
Just wondering since a friend of mine who is currently adopting was worried last night because she sent a package for her son in Guatemala via FedEx and no one was home to collect it. The tracking said it could not be delivered because no one was there. She was so worried what would happen to the package.
Is FedEx as reliable in Guatemala as it is here? I am hoping for her it is?! :)
Anyone?
happykosmo
Now we use DHL. It is very expensive but your package WILL get there. Yes, there are duties. Just mark your package indicating that sender pays duties and they will bill you. Duties on our packages have been based on the value of the content.
DHL picked up a package from my house Tuesday around 2pm and it was in Guatemala the next day at noon (delivered the day after that).
I am sorry to ask a silly question but what does DHL stand for? I am interested in alternative mailing options vs USPS. TIA!
We sent our dossier Fed Ex a year ago October and the attorney didn't recognize our name so he sent it back. The poor young man at the mailbox store was on the phone for about 4 hours trying to get fed Ex to redeliver. They tried again and no one was there... long story short.... Our package sat in customs for awhile then headed back to the US then finally made it there over a week later. VERY fusrating.
Also, there is custom fees... we were required to leave a credit card # so they could charge us. That was also part of the problem b/c Fed Ex wouldn't charge us and kept telling the attorney he had to pay it.
Advertisements
We sent a package via King Express. When we talked to them to ask for more information, they said the money order you send them with the package includes the taxes, etc. So the package then goes on to the foster family without additional fees. I heard only good things about them when I asked around. They charge $12 per pound with a minimum of 3 pounds and a max of 15. It sure seemed like the best deal when we were looking. Hope that helps.