Advertisements
Advertisements
We did it! My husband and I are both non-religious, and said so in our profile questionnaire. After waiting about a year and a half, we were matched with a mom. We even went through a church-affiliated agency. We were the only non-Christians in the pool. We were afraid of the same thing, even asked our SW if she thought it would affect our chances. She said she didn't think it mattered to a lot of people. Personally, I think it would... Anyhoo, the mom picked us. She was very taken aback that we were nonbelievers, and not just nonreligious, but we explained that it didn't mean we weren't moral, and had humanist views,etc, and a few months later we brought home our baby boy. It WILL happen.
Advertisements
Atheist here who adopted from Guatemala. I believe I put down that I was spiritual but not religious in the profile information.
I do attend a Unitarian church now which I think helps ground me and my child. But you can be an atheist and go there, so it is cool.
When I was choosing an agency, I did look for and use and secular one though--I didn't even want the issue of belief to come up and it never did.
Just chiming in to say that we, too, are atheists. We adopted both of our kids independently and didn't mention religion at all in our profile.
Our daughter's birthmom specifically chose us b/c we didn't have any religious affiliation. She had a bad experience with some very Christian relatives and she wanted to do what she could to make sure her daughter wouldn't have the same issues.
Like I have said to anyone who asks us how our adoption went so quickly and smoothly - everyone is looking for something different and while we knew we definitely weren't right for everyone - we knew we were right for someone.