Advertisements
Advertisements
The little guy I am going to adopt is 2 1/2 and in diapers. He was exposed to drugs inutero and may have some learning issues. He does not speek at his age level but in the two weeks we have worked on it (just by getting him to repeat us and resonding to his "babble") he has started "babbling" more and has said about ten new words. A couple of days ago after he pooped his pants he came in pointed to his diaper and made it clear he pooped and wanted to be changed. I said you should do that in the potty (just as a comment not scolding) and he nodded and said potty for the first time and clearly too. I am wondering even though he is making progress is it too early to start potty training right after he moves in. I am currently his babysitter. I dont want to confuse him I was thinking of working on his communication a little more and just introduce him to the toilet (sit on it read a book wash hands) and when he moves in and is settled into a routine then start the actual potty training.
Was just cruising thru the forums and saw your post. I'd wait until your Ds moves in, unless he obviously wishes to move forward. Since you are his babysitter he may be perfectly comfortable potty training during the transition. He may regress a little after he moves in, just with the change, but he may not. I'd just play it by ear.
Also kids don't work on two developmental areas at the same time. They work on gross motor (walking, jumping, running) and then they may pause with what they've accomplished in that area and move forward with another area, such as speech. They usually go back and forth between developmental accomplishments. It's pretty interesting to watch, too! LOL
Hope your transition has gone well and your Ds is doing great. :)
I popped into this forum because I'm going to be starting in with potty training our youngest soon. (As soon as she's over her cold.) Our second youngest isn't ready, so I thought I'd work with the youngest so she can teach her older brother. :D I think he'll get the hang of it better if she is a trail blazer for him. LOL
Advertisements