Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
If forcing a child to do yoga is abuse how about forcing them to do homework, go to school, take out the trash?
All these things are equally good for them. Parents often make decisions for their kids and teach them to do healthy things.
If my son strong sits, he doesn't need meds for his hyperactivity. Since he has issues with his liver, that's important. Should I not make him do it if he doesn't want to? My 16 year old hates school, should I let him quit if he wants to? Of course not.
And a child/adult who has successfully completed attachment therapy IS that in touch with their feelings.
People are very willing to believe those who complain that AT hurt them but when someone says it helped them, thier feelings are questioned-I see this a lot.
You know, weight watchers works for some people, and not for others. Wonder why that is? Does that make it a bad program?
For someone to be successful in AT they have to want something different. That doesn't make the process of going through it any less painful or any easier.
I don't think reading someone's account of it can really give you the real picture. You have to live it to get it.
And most parents who are using AT are heavy researchers, they have to be. If a therapist suggests doing something I find questionable, I tell them so. We then would explore further the reason or drop it and do something different.
If a parenting technique isn't working, it gets dropped and replaced with something more workable with THAT child. Doesn't make the technique bad, just the wrong approach for that situation.
AT and parenting is not and never has been one size fits all.