Advertisements
Advertisements
My wife and I are hoping to adopt from the US. I hold an American passport, my wife holds a British passport and we are domiciled in the UK. We attended an intercountry adoption seminar today and were informed that the US may well be closed to intercountry adoption from the UK as of the 1st April 2008.
Does anyone have any information that would clarify the situation? The State Department and US Immigration web sites do not have any clear information, nor the relevant UK government web sites.
In hope ...
Dear Marcus23,
Did you ever find an answer to your query? My husband and I are in the same situation: trying to find information about adopting a child from the US while living in the UK. I am American, and he is British. I know it can be done, or has been done, as an MP in power (Milliband) has adopted twice from the US. His wife is American.
Please let me know if you have any up to date news.
I do hope that you have been successful!
with regards,
Allison
Advertisements
Samd123 - we adopted our son from the US 18 months ago. I know there have been several adoptions from the US into the UK since. It is a Hague adoption.
Good luck.
Marco23
Marco23
Samd123 - we adopted our son from the US 18 months ago. I know there have been several adoptions from the US into the UK since. It is a Hague adoption.
Good luck.
Marco23
Hi Marco,
Congratulations! Hope all is going well.
So did you adopt him from new born? How long did each stage take?
UK application for adoption versus US side.
BTW hat difference does the "Hague" make?
Hope not too many questions!
Thanks,
Sam
Sam
We adopted him as a new born and were present at his birth.
The English stage took us well over two years plus in total but don't let that put you off as I'm am told thing might have speeded up since then.
The US side moves much more quickly.
The Hague Convention on Adoption are the rules that both the UK and US must follow for adoption as they are both signatories to it. It is designed to prevent child trafficking and the stages set out in the convention are followed step by step. You can find a copy of it on line.
Hope that helps.
Advertisements