Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
The agency where I adopted Hanna has several potential placements of caucasian baby boys with Downs. I had always wondered if I was called to do this and now her agency (that I really love) has not one but several babies who are unmatched. In addition, they are looking for a family in my state for one of the babies. Plus, I just bought a new crib for my fs's room because I was going to go on the active list for another baby-so I'm ready for a newborn placement.
I have outstanding medical insurance, a wonderful daycare provider and a flexible job. A super sweet lady from my church has a child with Down's and I love the kid. He's the sweetest kid (maybe 13) on the planet. But he is considered fairly high functioning.
The downside? Well.. he will probably never live independently. As a single mom, I have to wonder who will care for him when I'm gone. I don't want to burden my other children with a special needs sibling. Also, if I die before he's raised, I honestly don't think anyone in my family would want a special needs child. Each of my brothers has their hands full with their own children (mild special needs & behavior problems) and one of sisters has a husband who doesn't like kids. The other has a large family of her own and it would be a struggle to add a child with downs in addition to my other children-plus her husband would probably put his foot down and say no, it would just be too many kids for them to add to their own family.
So even with great life insurance, I'd have to worry about what would happen to him if something happened to me. I suppose I could live forever-but I'm worried that God might not agree to it.
Has anyone here adopted a child with down's? Any thoughts? I truly torn about this. It just seems so odd that this agency would have so many potential placements when I've had this at the back of my mind for a while now. Also, financially & physically, it just happens to be a good time to expand the family.