Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My little brother has downs and because i am 11 years his senior I am listed as his next guardian and if I am unable my aunt. Also even though you have good life insurance you cannot leave any money or anything to them because thegovernment will take it. Therefore I get 2/3 of the assets and the house my mother owns. The other 1/3 goes to the youngest brother. The house is for my downs brother to always have a home of his own if he can function fully enough to live there and enough financial support is left in the will/life insurane to cover the cost of a living arrangement such as a group home or other type of living that he may need to have. I have already discussed with my husband that any house we will own(like the one we have now) must have a basement suit so that if possible my brother could live in the suit but I could help with groceries bills and safety. But he would have his own space and have some responsibilty. I have worked in group homes and for assisted living and it is great but i think keeping him close would be the best for us. you need to search your heart in this. My little brother has made my life so different in such good ways that I would not trade hi for the world even thoughI know things will have to be different for us than most families.
How old are you children talk to them about adding a child with handicaps. You may be surprised that even though they are young they may be willing to open their hearts and when the time comes (in many many years I hope) They need to decide how things will work once your gone they will fight over who gets to take care of him. Also making proper arrangements well in advance and talking to family will give you peace of mind. And remember people can surprise you