Advertisements
Advertisements
I called my SW's supervisor today and she faxed me a letter stating the date the child was taken into DSS custody and the date he was placed in my custody. So, I had no problem at all documenting that.
Now, I don't have a "long and extensive" lists of receipts......that One Happy Mama mentioned above. I thought the dependent test for 2007 was cut and dry: Is the person in question under age 17, is this your birth child or approved foster chilld; and did this child live with you for at least 6 months and 1 day in 2007? Also the person has to be a US citizen and cannot have earned more than half of his own support (otherwise he could do his own taxes, I suppose).
I believe the tax law changed just a year or two ago to make it much easier for a foster parent to claim a foster child as a dependent. So maybe the person upthread who had to supply all the receipts was in an earlier tax year.
So, are most of you claiming foster children as dependents (if you had them at least 6 months in 2007)? I want to be sure this is the normal way to do things...As I said, I am new at this.