Advertisements
Advertisements
Are there any of them that help out???
I am thinking Target, Kohls, Sears, JC Penny?
If not, do you think we should start a letter writing campaign to ask?
Any thoughts?
As you can see I am pretty new here! Not even licensed yet, but I love coming here already!!!
Y'all rock! :rockband:
:grouphug:
Advertisements
Thanks everyone for your responses!
Goodwill!! Woo Hoo!! I love goodwill :cheer:
bethy724
Not to sound rude - but fostering a child has nothing to do with retail or state
No problem...no offense taken.
I fully expect all the expenses, especially the tripling of the grocery bill. I so welcome that!!!
But just was hoping there was some corporation out there that was sensitive to our plight (a la the Dave Thomas Foundation).
We are NOT doing this for the $$$ and would do it even if we didn't get reimbursement. But we do not have a foster parent support group here in my county. At the meeting I went to this weekend the DCFS worker basically discouraged any of us from starting one! So I am looking for tips anyplace I can find them :)
:grouphug:
I think my only concern would be how do you prove you are a foster family and deserve a discount at a major chain stroe? It is not like foster parents get a ID card with a photo that says "FOSTER PARENT" on it. So, you'd have to prove it somehow ... but how? It would be a nice world if companies could just "take your word" for the fact that you foster but they can't... too many people would try to take advantage of that situation! Suddenly "foster parents" would be popping up all over the place for 10% off at Walmart!
I also think we'd get a lot of negative public feedback. There was a poster on here not too long ago who attempted to get some baby equipment through "freecycle" or similar, and did NOT get a warm, fuzzy reaction when she mentioned she was a foster parent. Unfortunately, too many people still think we're "in it for the money" and asking for any free perks would look greedy. You know and I know that it costs money to foster....but the rest of the world, they don't know that.
<<But we do not have a foster parent support group here in my county. At the meeting I went to this weekend the DCFS worker basically discouraged any of us from starting one! >>
I think that's sad that she would discourage that. :(
Advertisements
I am glad you didn't take offense to my post - I am really being sincere when I write it costs & we still get the dirty looks when using WIC.
There are a lot of benefits a fc gets. In Houston my son was elegible for WIC (free formula), reimbursed day care, monthly stipend ($20 a day I think), Medicaid (including rx) & $60 every 3 months for clothes at Target or Walmart.
I have no idea why a sw would discourage fp's from organizing - you need all the support you can get & a fellow fp would understand your situation & can babysit if needed. Good luck & don't get discouraged - you sound like your in it w/ an open heart!!!
I think my only concern would be how do you prove you are a foster family and deserve a discount at a major chain stroe? It is not like foster parents get a ID card with a photo that says "FOSTER PARENT" on it. So, you'd have to prove it somehow ... but how? It would be a nice world if companies could just "take your word" for the fact that you foster but they can't... too many people would try to take advantage of that situation! Suddenly "foster parents" would be popping up all over the place for 10% off at Walmart!
Actually, in Oregon we DO get a foster parent ID photo card. It is updated every two years when you are recertified. It identifies you as a Foster/Adoptive Parent.
I think it is great to get an ID card. All we ever got was a badly photocopied piece of paper with our names and the foster children's name (often spelled wrong) as "proof".
bethy724
It makes me sick to see a foster child with clothes &/or shoes that don't fit or are obvious hand me downs (caked in dirt) I provide respite care on the weekends & some have come to me with out a toothbrush-where is the $$ going??!!
I am sure I would be one of those people who make you sick, but with twins and the cost of clothes my girls get lots of handme downs from friends and yes some are bigger but we use these for play clothes. and yes I sometimes forget to pack a toothbrush during respite. I try to remember everything, but sometimes things slip my mind or I just forget them on the table. The money goes to diapers, gas for doctor appts, new shoes, electric bill, groceries, believe me the money I recieve for my girls is nothing to the cost of raising them and putting a roof over thier head, food in thier stomach and a warm home.
In our county there is a non profit group that will help foster parents with any needs such as clothing (yes it is hand me downs) cribs, toys, beds, dressers, and high chairs when you get a new placement.
Advertisements
I was writing about my experience & the toothbrush wasn't forgotten for the 2 1/2 year old- the fm said she hadn't bought one (the child had been in care 3 months) I bought her a toothbrush. I absolutly understand the first week (or even first month) of placement being crazy - I've been there.
In TX a fp gets $60 every three months which is in no way enough to cover clothes - I also took hand me downs with no problem. I threw away items that couldn't come clean in the wash - I wouldn't wear dirty clothes (I mean caked in - not baby stains) so I wouldn't have a child wear them. However, a child should have 2 days worth of clothes in their own size-the child w/ no toothbrush also had shoes too small & clothes for a boy that were too big. I know I hate shoes pinching my feet & wouldn't wear clothes for a man too big for me. I wash all the clothes a fp sends so I can send them back with a full bag (yes some are sent w/ garbage bags) of clean clothes to give the fp a break.
I wanted to point out to care for a child it will cost money & no national chains that I know of offer a discount. I drained my savings while fostering my son & he always had clothes/shoes that fit him - I think clothing is one of the basics. I really don't think anybody here "makes money" foster parenting-I was pointing out that a person should have shoes & clothes that fit & it may cost the fp their own $$ & also that every person should have a toothbrush.
I certainly didn't mean to offend as I wrote in my first post.
We have a card that identifys us as licensed foster parents here in Washington state. I would also love it if a national chain would give a discount.
I'm glad to hear about Goodwill, I will have to ask next time I'm there.
I try to buy new clothes when I can but also go to garage sales in nicer neighborhoods and stock up ahead on sizes in the age range I take. It's nice to have Gymberee, Gap, and other nice brands in the closet ready for the next kid who shows up with nothing.
[url=http://www.caregiversmarketplace.com/FrameSetup.asp]The Caregivers Marketplace[/url]
This is something that may help with some things. I know a few FPs that use this.
EZ
Maybe I am just lucky but the second I announce I have a fosterchild, all my family and friends pop up with tons of gifts. My former fd had waaay too much stuff that I am going to donate alot to our foster agency we're using now. I rarely had to spend my own money.
Also our foster agency has TONS of stuff for our use. They will basically just hand over anything you need/want if they have it in their office; things like carseats, cribs, clothes, diapers, formula.
Advertisements
It's the same thing with us. When the boys first came (empty handed) except some clothes that were to small for the oldest. I contacted my local "Clothing Closet" and was able to pretty much take whatever I wanted. I did go out and buy a couple of new things so they didn't have all hand me downs. What I don't understand is why do some people feel like they have to have everything new, you can get some really good quality, good looking clothes at consignment shops or thrift stores. I have found brand new items w/tags on it for $1. You do have to be a little picky but remember they're just kids and their going to trash anyway.
Right now, we have a foster parent who runs the clothing closet out of her house and I was amazed that she told me that a lot of fp don't use it so she has all these clothes that are just sitting there, I don't understand it. I go to her house probably once a month to see if I find anything good.
We have our state license and a paper card with our names on it stating we are licensed foster parents. We also have a placement forms showing the child is placed with us that we show on our first visit to a new doctor, etc.
I get things through free cycle and don't mention the child is my foster son. I have gotten a lot of clothes and some toys from freecycle. We don't have any family nearby but Mom who lives in another state shops her local thrift store when they have the senior discount and other sale once a month so she can get kids clothes for 50 cents. She gets us a lot of jeans in the next size up and some shirts, jackets too and the next time we see each other we get the clothes and I store them until they will fit. So far I have not found a good thrift store here in Chicago that has low prices. They have clothes that aren't very nice marked 2.40, 2.90, 3.40, etc.
I do shop Kohl's sales quite often especially for PJs which I don't often find used. I get them on sale and with a discount using my Kohl's charge card. You can also get the Kohl's charge card discount on clearance items. I recently bought two Osh Kosh fleece pull-over jackets for about $3 each. They are size 3 which neither of my kids will be 3 y.o. until June '09 but I will store them until needed since they were such a good deal.
Tunay