Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I rarely ever post on this section of the forums since I am in the middle of the adoption process right now and that keeps us busy, but I am an adult adoptee and an adoptive mom of two (soon to be 4 or 5). The title of your post caught my attention and I was so curious I just had to read it.
Interestingly enough, I wrote out my adoption story and posted it on the adoptee section of another adoption forum last year and was flamed by some birth mothers for my choice of the term I used for my "birth lady". I feel similar to the original poster in that the word "mother" carries so much meaning and the woman who gave birth to me did not mother me. I DID meet my birth lady five years ago and we keep in touch through letters and an occasional email, but even still, she is not my mom. I have only one mom and that is my adoptive mom. Birth lady is the way I choose to describe my biological/birth mother. I feel that as the adoptee it is my right to voice the role she has played in my life. It is the adoptee who has such a small voice in the adoption triad.
On a side note, two of our adopted children were adopted at age 4 months in a foreign country. Their birth ladies made adoption plans for them, though very different from one another. They were placed for adoption the very day they were born. I will respect my children's choice to call their birth ladies by the term that is most comfortable to them. However, for the children that we are in the process of adopting, they will be older and will be coming from an entirely different situation where they will know their mother - a mother who by necessity has either abused, abandoned or neglected them in order for them to have been removed from their home and placed in an orphanage. This is also going to take some working through and I will respect their choice to call their former mother by the term that is most comfortable to them. It is something we will all be working through together, but I want to be sensitive to our children.
Thanks for bringing up this topic! Great discussion.