Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone. I'd love to put together something special for my husband for Father's Day. I'm trying to put together a slide show of photos of him with our daughter and I'd love some suggestions for music.
My husband adores our daughter more than anything in the world, but he has kind of a low threshold for things he considers too schmaltzy (sp?). Do you have any suggestions for fun songs about fathers and daughters or fathers and their children generally?
Thanks in advance!
Anne
To A Sleeping Beauty by Jimmy Dean is one my adoptive dad gave me on my 16th birthday. In the song the dad talks of watching his little girl while she sleeps and goes on talking of how much she has grown. My adad told me in a letter he wrote to me when he gave me the album that when I was very young he would come in and watch me sleeping. I now have the letter he wrote to me framed and I stilll love hearing that song and thinking of him every time I do. This is just my suggestion for dads. You can also see this on you tube just type in the title with you tube and it should come up.
Jo Ellen
Advertisements
Paul Simon has a sweet one (not too sappy) called Father and Daughter.
I also like Loudon Wainwright's "Daughter" which has a funny, yet tender sensibility (if you know the music of his talented daughter, Martha Wainwright, it fits - she's a spitfire.)
You can find both on YouTube if you search.
Oh! Oh! Oh!
Thank Heaven for Little Girls
Maurice Chevalier
Thank heaven for little girls
for little girls get bigger every day!
they grow up in the most delightful way!
Those little eyes so helpless and appealing
one day will flash and send you crashin' thru the ceilin'
thank heaven for them all,
no matter where no matter who
for without them, what would little boys do?
Thank heaven... thank heaven...
Thank heaven for little girls!
Advertisements
Daddy's Little Girl - the one played at weddings for the father/daughter dance - tears me up every time!
Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof (for both genders) - more tissue needed.
If it fits, any of the 1960's songs that have girl names: Candy Girl, Sherry, (Oh) Donna, (Walk Away) Renee, Barbara Ann, etc.
Advertisements
Hey Ya'll,
Thanks a ton. AuntieW has the perfect idea for my husband. Our DD is likely to come home in time for father's day!
I have a couple that you might find odd, but I like them.
"Kite" by U2
"In A Little While" by U2
now, a little background on them. Yes, I'm a huge U2 fan, but I danced to "In A Little While" with my dad at my wedding reception. It was very special and it's not very schmaltzy. Second, "Kite" was written specifically by Bono about his youngest daughter. He took her out to fly a kite and she was frustrated because she just wanted to get home and talk to her friends and have nothing to do with him. Oh, another one,
"Original Of The Species" by, yup, U2. Again, Bono wrote this one for his oldest daughter. I love the line "you are the first one of your kind."
I second "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon. We used it for the video montage we had for DD's shower and had lots of clips of them playing together on our visit trip. Chokes me up just to think about it.:love:
Advertisements
John Mayer's Daughters...it was on the top 20 the lonnnnngggg summer that we waited for Flora to come home. Tears would just run down my cheeks when it would play, thinking about how dh was just going to adore our princess!