Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I are very interested in adopting a Nicaraguan Child- I am originally from Nicaragua and my husband is caucasian so we do not know where to start the process for adoption- can anyone guide us in the right direction? What do I have to do first? Or should find a Nica lawyer to help us out start the process? or SHould I just go to Nicaragua to visit some orphanages?
I am at a lost since I heard that the govt makes it very hard for foreigner to adopt. But my dream has always been to adopt someone from Nicaragua and I don't want to give up hope- it does not have to be a new born baby- We are definitely willing to travel there anytime.
Do you know of any agency in Nicaragua that does adoption?
Thanks for all your help, it will be much appreciate it!
:grouphug:
Hello. I have never used a forum before so I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. But, my husband and I have a desire to adopt from Nicaragua. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements
I am also looking for information on ASI as well as other information on adopting from Nicaragua, could someone send me a message and let me know about these things?
We are very interested in adopting from Nicaragua. We have dear friends who are Nicaraguan and visit often and have been praying about this for some time. Now we are ready to take action.
We are very interested in adopting from Nicaragua. We have dear friends who are Nicaraguan and visit often and have been praying about this for some time. Now we are ready to take action. We'd be grateful for any advice- agencies, lawyers, orphanages.
If you haven't already done so (and you live in the US), start by reading the country information on the US State Department's international adoption website: [url=http://adoption.state.gov/country/nicaragua.html]Country Specific Information for nicaragua.htm[/url].
The State Department's information will give you the basic outline of the process. Note: Their estimated times to complete an adoption are usually underestimates.
Advertisements
My husband and I are also in the beginning stages of trying to adopt from Nicaragua. We have family that are missionaries near Managua and after a recent trip to visit are sure that we want to adopt from Nicaragua. Please message me with any and all advise. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to authenticate and translate all of the documents. Any lawyer info or agency info would be great too.
Thank you thank you thank you
I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to authenticate and translate all of the documents.
If you work with a professional, ethical agency they will give you clear instructions on all of this. Please, do not try doing adoptions without the assistance of reputable (and, if need be, accredited) professionals. International adoption is a very complicated legal process and adhering to all national and international laws is not something to try and do on your own.
First off, you have to be sure that you know exactly what documents, in what formats, the foreign country requires. Some countries may need a large number of documents, and others relatively few, and most will want them in certain formats. As an example, the names of the adoptive parents will almost always have to be written exactly the same on all documents; if you use Mary A. Jones on one document, another document cannot have Mary Ann Jones or Mary Jones.
If a foreign country has ratified a Hague Convention on the legalization of documents -- note: this is NOT Hague Convention #33 on intercountry adoption -- you use a process called "apostille" to validate the documents. As an example, if you adopt from Russia, your dossier must go through the apostille process. Your adoption agency or attorney will give you the specifics. A country that uses the apostille will NOT accept the non-apostille process, and vice versa.
If a country has not ratified the legalization treaty, you usually use a process that involves:
1. Notarizing all documents that are not government-issued. In other words, you would notarize your medical exam form and financial statement, but you would not notarize your birth certificate or divorce decree. The notary must usually use a raised seal, not just a stamp, and there may be other requirements concerning the age of the documents and so on.
2. "Certifying" documents by having the Secretary of State in the state where the documents originated (in the case of state-issued documents) or in the state where the notary practices (any notarized documents) indicate that the documents are valid and/or that the notary's signature and seal are valid. The Secretary of State in each state must be informed that he/she should not use the apostille, but rather a special seal for non-apostilled documents. He/she must also know the country to which the documents are going, as he/she may have special seals required by that country.
3. "Authenticating" the certified documents, usually by having the national Secretary of State's office apply seals validating that the state certifications are valid.
4. Finally, having the foreign Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. review the documents and apply a seal indicating that they have been properly notarized, certified, and authenticated.
This is just a brief overview of the process. Do not try to use either the apostille or the alternative process without guidance from an American agency or attorney familiar with intercountry adoption. It is absolutely essential that the process be done correctly, or you will waste valuable time, and often money, by having to redo everything.
Translation is also an important issue. In some countries, the foreign Embassy or Consulate actually does the translation. In others, your agency's overseas representative will do the translating. And so on.
There are a few countries that have been working with the U.S. on adoptions for years -- for example, Korea -- that do not require such an elaborate process. But do not expect that to be the case with Nicaragua.
Also, remember that, if the country from which you are adopting has ratified the Hague Convention on intercountry adoption, and most Latin American countries have, there are many additional paperwork requirements on both the American and the Nicaraguan sides. Since the Hague requirements are complex, and failure to complete them can cause you either to be unable to adopt or to be unable to bring your child to the U.S. following adoption, you really need competent help from an agency or attorney that is familiar with Hague adoptions from both the U.S. and Nicaraguan standpoint.
Remember that adoption and immigration are two separate processes. Just because you can complete an overseas adoption does NOT mean that the child qualifies for immigration to the U.S. So be very sure that you have satisfied BOTH adoption and immigration requirements.
Sharon
Sharon
Advertisements
my husband and were able to complete our adoption of two children, a brother and sister, in feb.... they are amazing and the long painful process was so worth it....i would love to connect with other families that have a adopted out of the country we have so fallen in love with, or help answer questions anyone adopting from nicaragua may have..sburlison
Hey there,
I am from Indiana but have been living all over central and south america the last 15 years now. I am currently in Nicaragua for 2 1/2 years now. My wife and I are thinking to adopt. I can tell you Nicaragua is a very corrupt place. You need to make sure everything is correct or you will have alot of trouble. There is a real need here for people like you and your husband. Alot of suffering when it comes to the kids here. They have several places here for orphan children. You guys should come down and check it out here. We are happy to help if you need more information. Good luck
William and Scarleth
Hi All, im new here. My husband and i have decided on adopting from Nicaragua. Is anyone currently in the process of or recently completed a nicaraguan adoption. There isn't much info out there and I am grasping at straws. I can't seem to find a group or the like as other countries have for adoptive or post adoptive families. Id love to connect with people and get the true statistics, wait period, cost etc.
Thanks Julie
Advertisements
I have a friend that just came home last with with their little girl from Nicaragua. It has taken them 2-3 years from starting the paperwork to bringing her home. Nicarauga requires you to spend no less than 8 weeks in country when it's time to travel. If you are prepared to wait and can manage that much time then go for it! MLJ Adoptions out of Indianapolis has an agreement with the ministry in Nicaragua. They are the only agency I know of that works there at the moment. Good luck!