Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay, so TPR is delayed a bit longer for us, and we aren't even through the first step towards being approved for adoption, so I thought I'd ask those who have done this before in Iowa- what things can I get prepared ahead of time in order to get the process moving quickly?
I'm waiting to take the PSMAPP classes and the home study. We've submitted fingerprints, and are still waiting before we can get into the classes (I am told that my choices for classes are to wait several months, or drive 180 miles round-trip each week to take a class somewhere else, so we're going to be doing some driving!) So far, I've prepared a brief summary of our family background, job duties, anything I can think about concerning our family, church, kids, etc to give to a few people who may need some "prompting" when given the opportunity to provide references for us. I am ordering duplicate copies of birth certificates/marriage licenses (a couple have been lost anyhow) so that we can submit a copy to our homestudy. I have our last 3 years taxes, and plan to provide a current bank statement, a couple previous check stubs, mortgage payments, and utilities bills to show our finances and home "stability".
I hear that they will want us to write a family "biography" or something like that - outlining parenting skills, family history, etc. Can anyone give me the specifics (like maybe whatever the documents told you to write/etc) so that I can start working on this document?
Are there any other papers/etc that they will want from us? Is there ANYTHING else that we can get ready ahead of time so that when they ask for it, we can just plop it in front of them and keep the process moving? I heard that they may want a note from our doctors concerning our health... will they want that just for me and my spouse, or for our children too? Is this something I can do now, or will they want it to be very recent? Can I just take the family for their annual physical and ask for something to be written up (will the doctor's office know what I am talking about?)?
I am tired of all of the waiting already, so anything that we can do to get the process moving so that the child isn't already in his 2nd year of college before we get the adoption finalized would be very appreciated. :thanks:
I'm taking the pets to the vet this week so that I can get records of all of their shots/etc, as I've heard they'll want this info as well.
Anybody that might have details on what they want us to write about ourselves/etc so that we can start that before we get to that point, would be greatly appreciated, as would info on any other items that you might have been required to turn in for your psmapp/home study.
:prop:
Advertisements