Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I'm new here and coming with a question. We are U.S. citizens living with permanent residency in NSW. Because we are not citizens, we do not qualify to adopt through the adoption authority in NSW.
Has anyone completed an expatriate adoption while living in Australia? Any information or advice would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!
Hi there-
I am an expat American living in Australia and about to adopt my son through the domestic infant American adoption. I am sorry to tell you if you are permenant residents of Australia you are no longer able to adopt from America. You will have to go through the Austrlaian adoption process which is impossible. We extended our temporary residency for the sole purpose of adopting from America, and know the rules completely. It's a hard thing, but if you give up residency and become American residents, we were placed with our son within a year. If you are able to revoke your permenant residency I can help you, as I am like a walking expat adoption guru from this experience. Sorry for the bad news!
Advertisements