Advertisements
Advertisements
MAM takes after bdad's side of the family. His mom sent us some pictures of herself when she was a preschooler--OMG! The only difference was the style of dress--her expressions and everything were the same!!!
That said, MAM also resembles her bbro (1/2 bio) in that they have the same smile/dimples...they are quite a pair!
It's nice to know/see where she's gets her features from.
Advertisements
Yes, a real mix of birth mom and dad. I talked to DD's birth mom tonight and she is putting together a "family album" for DD to have when she is older. I am so happy about this! I also saw a pic of birth dad when he was about DD's age and he looked sooooo much like DD. (Adorable, of course!)
We don't know/have never seen a picture of Shiloh's birthfather but I have to guess she gets most of her features from him. Shiloh's birthmom is half asian and when we tell people this they are usually in disbelief! Shiloh has very blue eyes, what looks like strawberry blonde hair, and the cutest dimples....none of which K (bmom) has. At this point, K's nose and I think maybe skin tone seem to be the only things they share.
Since our little angel is only 2 weeks old it is hard to tell at the moment. But I have been told she looks a lot like me. I just smile and say thanks....no need to make others feel strange or like they said something wrong. Sometimes other people are far too sensitive about adoption. Last time I corrected someone they said "well you are lucky then as she could pass as yours". This bothered really bothered me.....I don't plan on hiding her adoption away like a dirty secret. It is not! I am proud that someone chose us and trusted us enough to let us take care of this little angel as she grows. I would have loved her if she had purple eyes and green skin which by the way would look nothing like us lol :love:
Though I have been told that her bmom and I look enough alike to pass for sisters. We have the same coloring, nose shape and mouth shape. We thought that was funny as neither of us could see that much of a similarity between the two of us.
No idea about the bfather as we have never met him.
I've never seen even a picture of either birthparent. But my older DS and DD are full biological sibs to each other and they look SO much alike. My DD has mistaken old pictures of herself for her brother. I have videos of both of them at about 8 months old laughing and they sound just like each other! It's really the neatest thing. :arrow:
Advertisements
Both of my b-daughters look like me, one more than the other - she's like my twin, but it's a trip and I love to see both their pictures and how much they both look like me and act like me with mannerisms and such.
My daughter is a miniature version of her bio sister, who is five years older than her. They both resemble their biological mother. Also, depending on her expression, I see a strong resemblance to one of her older bio brothers.
My husband, son and I have dark hair, brown eyes and fair to medium skin. We are on the short and "fluffy" side. Our daughter is very petite with blonde hair, blue eyes and very fair skin.
I can't tell you how many time people have told us that our two kids look like! It's funney because my son is the spitting image of me. Yet, my daughter looks nothing like me. People will usually say she looks like her daddy. I personally don't see it. But hey, it makes him happy to hear that. :)
The truth of the matter is, when I look at my daughter, I see that our souls are a perfect match. It's uncanny how we are so much alike in so many ways. Regardless of anything, she is my daughter...my beautiful princess Sarah...
My ds looks like his 2 of his biosister, 1 is full bio, the other is half bio. I also see a strong resemblance to his biograndma. I have never met his biodad or any family on that side. I did see a picture of him once, but it was not a very close pic to actually see his features good.
I want to add that my biodd looks alot like me and my bioson looks like my dh. Also, our ason is related to my dh, but oddly enough he has my nose, lol. Well, not my nose, but a little pug nose like mine, and both my biochildren, lol!
Advertisements
I am White, and of Eastern European Jewish heritage. My daughter is 100% Chinese; I adopted her from China in 1997. Becca was an abandoned child, like most of the children adopted there at the time, when it was hard for Chinese people to make a real adoption plan, especially if they had conceived a child in violation of the coercive family planning laws in place at the time. We do not know who her birthparents were, or what they look like.
In many ways, we don't look at all alike. At 20, my daughter stands just over five feet tall, and weighs 100 lb. I'm 70, have shrunk from osteoporosis to about 5'4", and I'm way too heavy; I'm not even mentioning my weight! My daughter has hair that looks black, although it's actually dark brown, and dark eyes. My hair is light brown with a lot of grey coming in, and my eyes are a mixture of brown and green.
Interestingly, when I adopted my daughter -- she was 18 months old at the time -- people in China said that she looked like me. They pointed to her eyes, which looked big and round in her extremely tiny face, then pointed to my big round eyes and said "the same". My daughter also was so pale from orphanage life that, combined with the big eyes, she really didn't look very Asian.
In the U.S., when my daughter was younger, most people thought that I must have conceived her biologically, with an Asian partner. (I'm actually a single, long divorced woman, whose husband was also Eastern European Jewish, and who never had biological children.) They pointed to her skin, which was as light as mine and only slightly sallow, and to her eyes, which were only slightly almond-shaped. They also pointed to her nose, which had a distinct bridge and was quite narrow; many Chinese people have wide noses with bridges that are very flat, making it hard for them to keep eyeglasses on. What Americans often don't realize, however, is that China is a huge country, and there are many Chinese "looks" -- short, tall, light, dark, thin nose/wide nose, slim, stocky, straight black hair, lighter hair with some waves.
As my daughter grew older, many of the American-born Chinese children and Chinese immigrant children in her school also assumed that she was "Waysian", the slang term for biracial White/Asian, until she told them otherwise. They could see that she sunburned more like a Caucasian, for example. Interestingly, many told her that her mannerisms were Asian, though she hadn't been with her birthparents since she was 9 months old, and left China before she was 19 months old. However, I tended to hear, from adults, that her mannerisms were much like mine.
Strangely, she developed a "word sense" that was so much like my mother's that it was uncanny. My daughter never met Grandma Goldie, who died shortly before she was born, in 1995. Clearly, there must be something about my own speech patterns, reading skills, and so on that I inherited from my mother, and my daughter got them from me, but I still hear my late mother talking when Becca points out a misspelled word that changes the meaning of what is written, or something funny on a menu.
I wish that we could meet Becca's birthparents. My guess is that they are petite, even for Chinese people, and quite attractive. My daughter has turned out to be quite gorgeous, especially when she puts on makeup, a business-like outfit, and the stylish four-inch heels that she loves. My guess is that they are also light-skinned, like she is, and have delicate features with narrow noses. They might even have eyes that are more round than those that most Americans think of as Chinese. Perhaps, someday, it will be easier to search without causing harm to her birthparents, or distress to the Chinese government, which was gracious enough to let me adopt.
Becca also may have inherited her birthparents' intelligence. She has done phenomenally well in school -- she's a college sophomore now, having taken a year off to live on her own and work full-time. She makes sensible life choices. She has great social skills, and has had a very nice boyfriend for the past two years. I can't take credit for all that, although I did make some choices that let her make good use of her talents. While I suspect that she was born to a married couple who violated the family planning laws or experienced a family tragedy, because she came to me with a good sense of what a Mom was supposed to be, she could well have been born to a nice unmarried pair of highly intelligent university students who would have lost their scholarships -- and their chance to be the first children in their families to go to college -- if it was known that they had given birth to a child. In any case, it would be so nice to know -- and it would help my daughter answer that question that sometimes gnaws at her, which is, "Why did they abandon me?"
Sharon