Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I am 26 and just made the decision to actively search for my birth mom. It is something I have been thinking about for a long time, but I just now feel like I am emotionally mature enough to be able to handle whatever information I may (or may not!) find....but I'm still scared!
I know that I can't do this alone, without the understanding of other people who have been there or who are going through the same process. I know my friends and especially my a-sister will be extremely supportive of me in this process, but I feel like I really need other adoptees. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows of any resources in the NYC area (I was not adopted in NY, but live here now), like some sort of support group or something. I think this site is wonderful and it has been incredibly comforting to read the posts of so many who have gone through the same things I am feeling, but I think it would be really helpful for me to personally get to know some other adoptees and be able to talk with them on a regular basis.
While my friends are supportive of me, I just don't think they fully understand the bizarre melange of emotions I have been going through ever since I initiated this process -- why did my a-parents share information with my younger a-sister about my adoption before me? Why has my b-mom not searched for me? Am I being disloyal to me a-family if I don't tell them all the details of my search? What if I find my b-mom, and she rejects me?
And if no one knows of any support group, etc., perhaps someone who is at the same point in the process (just signed up for ISRR waiting to see if there is a match, just signed up on search registries, just petitioned for my original birth records and am awaiting the information) might be willing to exchange emails or talk on gchat/aim? I'm really just looking for a friend or pen pal who can commit a little personal time to get to know my story -- I am willing and eager to do the same.:thanks:
Thanks in advance for your advice and thoughts,
Jessica
Advertisements