Advertisements
Advertisements
m-d-t-b
we are an indian couple on h1 and h4 visas....hoping to adopt domestically from usa.
we empathise with you a lot.....we are in the same position.....just starting the homestudy.
please google to find support and sound advice from nri domestic adoption groups etc
please obtain legal clearance first..... like us ...from different official sources with reliable lawyers in india and usa......and select capable homestudy agencies, adoption facilitators, adoption placement agencies etc.
the money is unfortunately a very big issue....irs gives some tax`relief but try to save around $40k ....before u begin.then again....this is a personal observation.
please collect references from...2 relatives and 3 other sources.....all living in usa.
please feel free to contact me.
also, please research every agency/attorney and read good books on domestic adoption.
best wishes on your adoption journey!
I have sent you a PM. Please respond.
Thank you
Advertisements
m-d-t-b
we are an indian couple on h1 and h4 visas....hoping to adopt domestically from usa.
we empathise with you a lot.....we are in the same position.....just starting the homestudy.
please google to find support and sound advice from nri domestic adoption groups etc
please obtain legal clearance first..... like us ...from different official sources with reliable lawyers in india and usa......and select capable homestudy agencies, adoption facilitators, adoption placement agencies etc.
we started the process in july 2009 and got clearance from all the mentioned sources below.....thru emails/phone calls etc in the last 2 months .....from cara, india and indian state branch of cara; indian consulate;us central authority for adoption ie federal govt; state high court approval document etc collect emails by googling.
then collect proper birth certificates for you/your spouse....and child abuse clearance certificate as well as police clearance certificate from indian consulate.
the money is unfortunately a very big issue....irs gives some tax`relief but try to save around $40k ....before u begin.then again....this is a personal observation.
please collect references from...2 relatives and 3 other sources.....all living in usa.
please feel free to contact me.
also, please research every agency/attorney and read good books on domestic adoption.
best wishes on your adoption journey!
Can you please let me know if you had any issues in brining the child from India to US? I heard that the parents should stay in India for 2 years before bringing the baby to US?
Dear Jasmin (and anyone who knows the answer)
We are Italians living in NY on a H1B visa. We are trying to adopt domestically but someone told us that we are able to adopt a baby born in our own state ONLY (e.g. in New York and not, for example, in New Jersey).
I think it does not make much sense but...
Any idea anyone?
Great thanks for any light you can shed!
I am not an expert but from what I have heard, if you live in NY, it is almost impossible to adopt a baby outside of NY, so yes, your best bet is probably to stick to NY. That adds yet another layer of complication, in addition to the fact that you are on an H1B. Most agencies do not know what an H1B is and some may not even allow you to adopt on an H1B, as an agency regulation. So brace yourselves ...
Does it make sense? Not to me, but then again IMHO, many laws and regulations in adoptionland make little sense, if at all, and shoudl be reworked (e.g. that non-U.S. citizens cannot adopt internationally, lack of regulation of birthmother expenses, lack of regulation of private adoption, NY adoptive parents, religious discrimination of Christian agencies, barriers to interstate adoption from the public system etc.).
Hopes this helps. PM me if you like.
Hello:
I am posting this reply with big hope!
I am wondering about the domestic adoption process.
Could any one please suggest about an agency whom I can contact to go through a smooth process.
I have realized that being on Green card, we cant adopt a child from India. After trying multiple IVF, I am completed devasted with the failure I received with IVF and highly looking forward to adopt a child domestically
Thanks so much
Advertisements
sghosh
Hello:
I am posting this reply with big hope!
I am wondering about the domestic adoption process.
Could any one please suggest about an agency whom I can contact to go through a smooth process.
I have realized that being on Green card, we cant adopt a child from India. After trying multiple IVF, I am completed devasted with the failure I received with IVF and highly looking forward to adopt a child domestically
Thanks so much
Please help me with the info on domestic adoption process
Hi Sgosh!
Do not worry! Being on a Green Card (or even a work permit) allows you to adopt domestically. After some research I found out that one can even adopt from out-of-state on a working visa. Some agencies might not be familiar with the law but it is totally OK. I know many couples (both non-US citizens) who adopted domestically. They were either on a Green Card or simply on a working visa. Unfortunately I do not know any agencies in your state but be very hopeful because from a legal point of view you are allowed to adopt domestically. :cheer:
Cipolla
Yes, you can adopt domestically on a Green card and also on an H1B. I adopted my son while on an H1B and my daughter while on a Green card. I am the proof that you can. As Cipolla said - if anybody tells you that you cannot, then they don't know what they're talking about.
You cannot adopt internationally because of the current U.S. immigration laws. USCIS is responsible for the policy not to issue a legal status to a child adopted internationally by non-U.S. citizens - not even if the child was adopted through a recognized agency! Shame on USCIS. And shame on legislators who do not change this policy.
As for domestic adoption: As some posters said on this board "oh, what's the problem, so H1B/Green Card holders can just adopt domestically". It's not that easy. The foster care system will not work with you due to your visa status so the only option you have is private domestic adoption.
Now, private domestic adoption typically means that you have to get picked by a birthmother - which is hard when you're an immigrant who has a foreign accent, when you are not a Christian, when you come from a different culture etc. And that is what whoever says "they can just adopt domestically" don't understand.
To exemplify: I know an Indian couple who has been waiting for four years now. They are open to many ethnicities and substance abuse and still - they just do not get chosen.
Another thing that the they-can-just-adopt-domestically folks do not understand is that in the case of Indians, domestic adoption is by necessarily a transracial adoption since there are no Indian kids available. In comparison: How many US citizens are open to transracial adoption???
So now, it is what it is. Domestic adoption by H1B visa holders is technically possible but it requires two things:
1. An adoption professional who does not discriminate people based on religion and immigration status (and better not on anything else either because discrimination is just not ok)
2. Openness to transracial adoption from the side of the adoptive parents
Sgosh, I sent a PM with the contact details of two recommended adoption professionals. All the best to you!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
If you are well linked in to the Indian community in the U.S., you may be able to find an Indian birthmother through networking, if independent adoption is allowed in your state.
You will need to have a homestudy by a social worker licensed to do them in your state. You will also need an attorney to assist with ensuring that any arrangements you make with a birthmother are legal and ethical, and with finalizing the adoption in court.
You will then proceed to contact obstetricians who work in the Indian community, members of your faith community, your relatives in the U.S., etc., to identify women who may be considering placement of their baby for adoption. Network actively. Use letters, phone calls, and personal contacts. Even your hairdresser might know someone who is considering placing a child.
There is a considerable risk of scams when you do an independent adoption. However, if you work with your lawyer on a plan for verifying the pregnant woman's claims, you can be quite successful.
Sharon
sak9645
If you are well linked in to the Indian community in the U.S., you may be able to find an Indian birthmother through networking, if independent adoption is allowed in your state.
sak9645, I am well connected to the Indian community, I am a member of a big Hindu temple, and I have been accompanying Indian adoptive parents who are non -US citizens in their domestic adoption journey for the past five years.
There are VERY few Indian birthmothers who place babies. I have come across four cases only: In one of them, the baby was born blind, in two others, the birthmother was adopted from India and was into meth, and in the last case, the baby was placed with a temple member.
IMHO, it is not prudent to tell prospective Indian adoptive parents to network and do an independent adoption because most likely, it won't happen in a reasonable timeframe.
IMHO, it is a better strategy to contact adoption lawyers (because they don't discriminate) and certain agencies. I have seen many Indian couples being placed that way. Generally speaking, Caucasian birthmothers are more open to placing with Indians. Other birthmothers - not so. That has been my experience over the years that I have been accompanying Indian couples. All Indian couples I know personally did transracial adoption, and they all have beautiful and inspiring stories.
sak9645
You will need to have a homestudy by a social worker licensed to do them in your state. You will also need an attorney to assist with ensuring that any arrangements you make with a birthmother are legal and ethical, and with finalizing the adoption in court.
Yes, and I recommend an adoption lawyer or an agency in any of the 50 states - unless you live in NY, in which case your options are limited.
But as I said, I strongly advise against independent adoption, not only because of the risk of a scam but simply because of the low likelihood to find an Indian birthmother. I get contacted at least once a week by an Indian couple. There are simply not "enough" Indian birthmothers compared to the demand.
Because of what I have been seeing over the years, I call for a change in the current immigration laws, so that non-US citizens who came here to work and pay taxes can adopt children without excessive hardship.
Hello Cipolla & WizardofOz, Thanks so much for your response..
As we live in Minnesota, I contacted few local agencies here. It sounds like, we need to place our profile in the adoption agencies and birth mother is going to select us. How much time it takes. Do they ever get any Indian birthmother? How this open agencies work? Does the birthmother stay in touch with the child?
Thanks so much
Momto1human-2furry
I was on a H1B visa and had applied for a Green card. After facing these awfull roadblock and yes discrimination against the child i would adopt i adopted a Hispanic baby in the U.S.
We wanted our baby to blend if we ever returned to India and look like us too. I think it was our destiny to face these road blocks/ karma as we had to be parents to our beautifull baby who is of Hispanic origin.:love:
People, those who know and other who don't know of the adoption think she looks just like us. Same complexion, hair colour, eyes and even a few features like my grand mother in-law.:love:
Hi Momto1human-2furry
I am on a green card and considering adopting as well. Think you may share any details about adopting in your case; adoption agencies or any other info will be greatly helpful.
Best
Professor!
Advertisements
Hi ProfessorUS and WizardofOz,
I and my husband both are on H1b visa and we live in NJ. We are trying to adopt a kid from India. We started the process 3 years back (Our plan was to go back to India once the kid is ready to be adopted and live there for 2 years with kid) and directly contacted the government agency in Hyderabad, India (my parents in India helped me with the process) but recently I came to know that our application was invalid because I haven't initiated the process here in USA and they are not ready to give us the kid and asked us to apply for adoption here in USA through an agency. The agency in India did not give any information when we started the process.
Now we are confused, frustrated :grr: and dont know what is the process for adoption and this time we want to ensure that we know the process and then start. We already lost 3 years and desperately waiting to adopt a kid from India.
After I saw this forum, we are also considering domestic adoption. Even though we applied for Green Card, we donҒt have any plans to settle down here nor to get US citizenship. So, we would like to know where to start, whom to contact and what are our options and which is the best option in our scenario, International or Domestic adoption?
I can send you PM, if you need further information. Please help me...
I greatly appreciate your help in advance.
:thankyou: Thank You!
I am on H1B and my wife H4. We both are from Hyderabad, India. Married for 15 years, childless, attempted IVF 4 unsuccessful times and desperate to be parents. When I saw this forum, my heart sank to know how difficult it is to bring an adopted kid here into the US. I built a career in research, a full time university faculty and a part time PhD student with one more year to graduate. But if losing all this is the only option for me to be a parent, so be it. After all, decisions are all based on your priorities in life and my top most priority is to be a parent and I know, I will be a good one.