Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm an Indian citizen working in US on H1 visa. Me and my wife want to adopt a child from India and recently started the process. While trying to research on the process, I came across this blog thread and realized that it may not be possible to adopt a child from India. I'm not a permanent resident of US and do not intend to apply for permanent residency. I want to work here for 3-4 years to pay off the loans that I took for completing my Masters in US, and then I want to head back home (India). So, it makes sense for me to adopt a child from India rather than going for a domestic adoption.
Can someone help me understand whether I can adopt a child from India and then bring him/her here on a dependent visa (H4) just like any person on H1 can do for their biological child? I understand that US government might have issues in allowing me to bring a child on IR3 or IR4 visa while I am on H1 visa. But why can't my adopted child come on H4 visa? It would be possible if I had a biological child.
Is it impossible for me to adopt a child from India and bring him/her on H4?
Thanks