Advertisements
Advertisements
We are thinking about changing from straight adopt to foster-adopt. Does anyone know what we would have to do to be able to do this? Would we need another homestudy? What all is involved when going into fostering? We've already done the MAPP class... are there more classes we would need? Any info would be great !
Its not too hard, there are no other classes. The home study will have a few extra things on it but your CW can help with that. You will need a radon test and health inspection in some counties. A few extra papers to sign. They will get all the paperwork together and send it to the state and they will apporve/or deny you for foster care. You can't foster until you have the ok from the state. I have heard it can take 2-3 months, sometimes longer. Adoption only does not go to the state for approval.
Advertisements
Does anyone know the percentages of children that are reunified with their parents ? I know that this is always the goal , but what are the actual statistics? Is it like 70% are reunified or something different? We are wanting to foster with the hopes of eventually being able to adopt. Are our chances better if we are foster parents than with straight adoption? Our Cw says thats true , but I just want to make sure that we are getting the truth and she's not just telling me that because she wants us to become foster parents.
The percentage of children that go back to their parents is high. That is the goal of the state. We did our homestudy just to adopt, We tried for a year and a half and got nowhere. So many of the children get adopted by thier foster parents if they become adoptable. We submitted our homestudy many times in state and out, and got nowhere, so we switched to foster care. A year ago we have adopted a DS angel baby from a private agency, and just found out yesturday that we are matched with a little girl from our state who we submitted an interest for before we adopted our baby. It can happen, We are very excited. OUr previous foster children have all gone back to thier parents, We have 2 right now and the future is still up in the air. Because it was a different state agency doing foster care, we had to do alot of paperwork over again and the fingerprints, it was all a pain, but well worth it. I think you will have a better chance expecially if you want a younger child. and if they go back to their parents, you will have done something important and well needed.
Mother of 3 bio girls
Father of 2 bio boys and 2 girls
adoptive parents to one angel on one on the way
foster parents to 2
previous foster parents to 6
"The percentage of children that go back to their parents is high. That is the goal of the state. We did our homestudy just to adopt, We tried for a year and a half and got nowhere. So many of the children get adopted by thier foster parents if they become adoptable. We submitted our homestudy many times in state and out, and got nowhere, so we switched to foster care. A year ago we have adopted a DS angel baby from a private agency, and just found out yesturday that we are matched with a little girl from our state who we submitted an interest for before we adopted our baby. It can happen, We are very excited. OUr previous foster children have all gone back to thier parents, We have 2 right now and the future is still up in the air. Because it was a different state agency doing foster care, we had to do alot of paperwork over again and the fingerprints, it was all a pain, but well worth it. I think you will have a better chance expecially if you want a younger child. and if they go back to their parents, you will have done something important and well needed."
Hello,
Approximately 4 years ago My DH and I took MAPP (for adoption). Some health concerns as well as eventual surgery and healing time, put all our plans on a back burner.
We reconsidered "adoption" versus "foster" for exactly the reason you mentioned. It seemed that a lot of adoption hopefuls seemed to wait and wait (unless they were matched with a child available on the photolisting) while friends we met in MAPP that fostered went and adopted a couple of times while the hopeful Adoption Parents waited and waited.
We looked into switching to Foster...but that was at the time that State Adoptions became privatized. We could not find anyone in the system (ie Staff) that we knew through MAPP. All the contacts were gone. We heard the State was discouraging Foster to Adopt and was basically wanting to have separate programs for Fostering (parents who want to foster ONLY) and for Parents wanting Adoption. We never had the homestudy. We eventually went off in a different direction. Later we adopted 2 older children.
Now we are still wanting to adopt a younger child (we wanted a baby to begin with way back when, when MAPP classes told us "If Ya'll are looking for babies, Ya'll are in the wrong place!!!" We heard this at each and every 8 week class! . We still want that baby...plus, we don't want to change the birth order now.
Once we had changed our minds we really have always wanted to foster to bring another one home. And that dream and desire has always been unfulfilled.
RBMcqueen, your adopted baby was that done through the state...I am confused. Did you adopt privately, and now (finally) had the offer of a baby through the state?
I always heard the State of Florida has their absolute favorites (families that is) that consistently foster one baby after another, while other families hoping to Foster babies (and eventually adopt them) not unlike like the Adoption hopefuls, wait around for their turn.
Please elaborate on how you brought your baby angel home...and I am guessing you were then offered a baby through the state without having Fostered that baby?
Thank you
Cris, I'm sorry to see that your still on your search. After your whole licensing debacle, I was sure you would find something rather quickly.
In Florida, there is no such thing as the foster to adopt program, either one or the other, though you can have both. I am a licensed foster parent, that has my adoption homestudy done, for the just in case, and I have my name on a list in the interim. I do foster and have fostered for a little over a year now, I still do not have a child going to TPR but have had one of my kids for over a year. Though it does look like he will eventually go home (and then come back, again), i would have not changed anything. I have been able to give a safe and loving home for a total of 9 kids. My problem is not with them going home but the quick turn around which I seem to be getting recently. Most of them I knew where going to leave quickly, here's my stats, 1 went to therapeutic, 3 went to family and 3 went back home (within 2 weeks or so) and I have 2, (2yr old for 1 year and a 1 month old for about a week and a half, looks like he'll be sticking around for awhile).
You will need to contact your local agency that does fostering. In my district they are two seperate agencies, though they can get most of the information from each other, they will still require their own homestudy. The MAPP classes were good for both. It will take 2-3 months to get licensed but well worth it.
If your looking to get a younger child, in reality the chances are you have better luck fostering first. The CW is not lieing to you just so you can be a foster parent, its the truth. Most foster parents are the ones to adopt the kids, if its not family. There is a foster parent in my area that got a infant straight from the hospital, his adoption was final when he was 10 months, meanwhile he lived with her his whole life.
I am hoping and praying that this baby that I have sticks around but unfortunately its a gamble. You love and treat these kids as if they are your own, and sometimes you have to let them go. Does it hurt, absolutely, but I wouldn't have changed it.
Advertisements
As I have been lurking recently, I have read of your recent disappointment with the legal system. I am sorry to hear of your sadness...your child is out there somewhere. I wish you the best!
I think it all depends on your location...I personally know of many people here in Duval county who have adopted babies that they fostered straight from the hospital. I know many people who have fostered who have adopted all ages ( newborns to teens- whatever their preference was). Most of the people I know who fostered (with the hopes of adoption) in my county was placed with the child they eventually adopted within the first year after being licensed.
I personally adopted 2 boys ages 1 & 2 at placement 7 months after they were placed in my home as foster only placements. They were placed with me less than 2 months after I was licensed.
I have turned down several infants (even newborns) and still do....that eventually became TPR'd.
I think Duval county holds the state record for the # of adoptions completed this year....
makarios79
I have turned down several infants (even newborns) and still do....that eventually became TPR'd.
I think Duval county holds the state record for the # of adoptions completed this year....
Hey Farrah! How are the kids? I saw in your blog their therapist called you sick..I wonder if they have the same therapist cause Alexis's called me last week to cancel because she was sick!
The SW tried to have me renew my license to give me a baby! Said there is alot of them lately...and asked me did we want a baby brother for the girls LOL I told her no thanks but she's trying really hard!