Advertisements
Advertisements
Cambodia has been closed to American adoptive families for several years. At this time, there is no evidence suggesting that it will reopen any time soon.
The U.S. has a concern about corruption in the Cambodian adoption process, and is trying to work out an adoption agreement with the Cambodian government that would address the problem areas. As I understand it, however, there has been little progress.
People in some countries other than the U.S. may still be able to adopt from Cambodia.
Sharon
Advertisements
Actually, I'll disagree. The agency we adopted our duaghter through believes Cambodia will reopen in 2009 or 2010. Both governments are supposedly working to re-establish ethical adoptions.
I do not believe that you can consider ANYTHING certain in international adoption, if you are looking at a time horizon of a couple of years.
I think we would all like to see Cambodian adoption reopen. But especially after what has occurred in Vietnam -- where the country reopened to Americans after a shutdown, only to move quickly to the brink of another closure because of continuing U.S. concerns about corruption -- I believe that the U.S. government will be very, very cautious about approving any new agreement with Cambodia.
And the Cambodian government has moved very slowly in the direction of reforming its adoption system, although it has said that it intends to become Hague-compliant. Attempting to become Hague-compliant, in itself, can limit adoptions for a couple of years, as all the necessary systems and processes are put in place.
Sharon
Advertisements